What's new

Does temperature in the home affect RPTVs? (1 Viewer)

rich_rosell

Auditioning
I'm in the market for an RPTV (currently waffling back and forth between 42" Mitsu or Toshiba), and as I research things I was wondering if temperature in the home affects RPTs.

The reason I ask is because the room in my home where the set would go tends to get a little colder than the rest of the house, especially over night. Does a temp fluctuation impact convergence, etc?

thx

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It will take an rptv longer to properly warm up in a very cold room.

Mind you, TV's and electronics don't like hot rooms either.

Regards

John S

Senior HTF Member
You certainly may want to turn the set on, like 30min before you want to use it. That is a great question though, one that will be interesting to get a professional calibrationists opinion on for sure.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
A very stable operating temperature is preferred, but normal home temparatures should not cause problems. Sets should be able to withstand freezing temperatures as well, though extreme changes very fast from hot/cold can stress things, and crack lenses/screens, etc. A unit in a cold room will take longer to warm up to operating temp. A unit that changes in temp little when warmed up should hold convergence mugh tighter, and get "perfect" much quicker than one that is very cold when you turn it on.

One other thing to keep in mind, is if a set has been freezing in the cold, say in a garage, let it warm to room temperature first, as moisture can condensate on the cold guts of it when it's brought inside, and that can lead to arcing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks