What's new

Does SVS shut off during passages with no bass?? (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Currently, I have my processor set to "large" for front speakers and "none" for sub. The L&R outputs from the processor sends the full range signal to my SVS 16-46PC+ powered sub, which produces the bass while sending only the higher frequencies to the L&R amps/speakers.

This arrangement was necessary because of my processor's bass management limitations.

The SVS's power switch is set to "Auto". Since there is always some type of signal going to the sub, it does not shut off until I stop playing anything for awhile.

Now, this week I am expecting delivery of a new pre/proc with much more flexable bass management and will be hooking my SVS sub (crossover set to bypass) to the sub output on the new pre/proc, with all other speakers set to small. So now, the sub will only be receiving the bass signal.

With the sub power switch set to "auto", will I have a problem with it cutting off and on during a movie or musical selection that has some sections with bass and some without bass?

If you have had a problem with this, how did you solve it? I'd prefer not to leave it on 24 hours a day if possible.

Thanks in advance for your insite and suggestions!

JimmyK

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
"With the sub power switch set to "auto", will I have a problem with it cutting off and on during a movie or musical selection that has some sections with bass and some without bass?"

I doubt it. I've never heard of anybody having that problem with their SVS.

"I'd prefer not to leave it on 24 hours a day if possible."

That's what I do with my 16-46PC+...

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
You should run your pre/pro sub level at a little less than the midpoint of the range (e.g., -3 on a scale of -10 to +10) in order to minimize distortion of the pre-out signal.

At this level, the auto-on circuit of any sub plate amp can be a little "sleepy" at low overall volumes and it may take a bump in the master volume to get it to initialize. After it is running, it will probably stay on through the entire movie unless you are playing at pretty low levels and there is an extended stretch in the movie without much bass content.

At any reasonable playback volume, I have never had my 20-39PC+ shut off during music or HT playback.

If it ever becomes a problem, you can try a Y splitter off the pre-out with two sub cables and connect to both the L/R line level inputs and this will effectively double the input voltage and make it easier to initialize and keep the sub running at lower overall volumes.

If you do add a Y splitter it will increase the sub volume about 3 dB, so remember to recalibrate by lowering the plate amp volume control accordingly.

Regards,

Ed

James Edward

Supporting Actor
My Hsu VTF-2 had a very short time period before it would shut off, and a loud enough click to make it annoying as hell. So, I know exactly what you mean.

I have a PC Plus and this has never been an issue. Never.
Even with my PC model, I never had the problem. I just leave them on auto, and all is well.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Thanks!

JimmyK

PS- I just got a call from my dealer.....my pre/proc was just shipped today, so it will probably be Monday before it arrives.:frowning:

JamesFarina

Agent
JimmyK,

If you continue to have this problem with your new pre/pro (assuming proper calibration levels) try increasing the subwoofer setting on the pre/pro and turning the gain down on the sub. Then recalibrate. Everything should be fine.

Jim F

Chip E

Screenwriter
My 20-39PC has been "ON" for two years...straight. Not a single problem...ever.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I had the SVS amp not 'turn on' from Auto mode on a number of low volume occasions. I solved it by leaving the sub amp in the On position all the time. So far, so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks