Does such a device exist?

PatH

Second Unit
I'm reproducing below I sent to Linear Corporation. They do not have the device I need. The letter explains it but I just thought of some other ramifications that I'll address below: Greetings: I'm in a wheelchair and my company thoughtfully provided a remote control to open gates and doors where I work. I was also carrying around a much larger garage door for entry at home. Then I realized that a two position switch might consolidate things. I found one of your devices small enough for a key ring and this worked flawlessly once I matched the DIP switches to the individual devices. Now technology has caught up with me. We had to replace our garage door opener with a newer model and my device no longer worked. I soon discovered why: The new opener has 12 DIP switches but my model has two banks of 10. Now I need one bank of 10 switches for the doors at work (I certainly have no way to convert the various doors there to 12 DIP switches) and a bank of 12 switches for my home garage door. Again, rather than carry two devices, do you make a key ring device with both a bank of 10 DIP switches and a bank of 12 switches? Please reply to this email so I can make a purchase if you can solve my problem or tell me where to turn. Thank you. Pat H. Mooney alternate email: [email protected] It's now occurred to me that the problem may not be the arrangement of DIP switches but the frequencies used to operate the devices, i, e, the new garage door may operate on a different frequency than the old, which tallied with the frequency used by the doors at my job. If these no longer match, a single device is not practical unless it can generate each frequency. Can any of you folks who build their own setups shed any enlightenment on this issue or point me to other sources for info? Thanks! PatH

Eric Peterson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I work for a garage door opener company. If you can supply me some manufacturers/model #s of the openers and transmitters, I may be able to help you out.

Eric Peterson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Pat, My company manufacturers LiftMaster openers, so I'm fairly familiar with them. That said, we have not made new transmitters with DIP switches for quite some time. We may still make a few models that are purely for replacement parts, but no new Garage Door Openers have been released since I started here more than a decade ago. I can tell you that the frequency changed from 390 Mhz to 315 Mhz about 5 years in response to the government taking over the old frequency band, so in all likelihood that is at the core of your problem. Here are my questions. 1. Did you buy a whole new Garage Door Opener (1355) and are you using the transmitter that was supplied with it? 2. Did you keep the transmitter from your old opener? 3. Assuming that you purchased this through a dealer, you may want to contact them about a "Universal Receiver". This would allow the new opener to work with the old transmitter (which works for your other devices). Likewise, the company that makes your other devices may have a similar "Universal Receiver". I believe that wired and wireless models are still available and look similar to this. http://www.aaaremotes.com/liungadooppl.html We also make "Universal Transmitters" that are designed to work with different brands of Garage Door Openers. These may work for you also. http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/products/pflUniversalProducts.htm I hope that this helps.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metlerdavid