Does speaker wire go bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Mack, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering if my Home Depot 12 gauge wire has gone bad...

For awile now my Paradigm Monitor series speakers have been sounding very "thin" with a big muddy gap in the mid bass to lower midrange. Bass would just disappear when running my mains large in 2 channel mode. There was much more bass when the (calibrated) sub was added to the mix.

Speaker positioning didn't help and the bass was missing even if I had my head to the speaker.

I have been using Home Depot 12 gauge speaker wire since December 1999. So yesterday, I bought some smaller gauge Monster XP speaker wire and things really cleaned up! I was able to run my mains large without having the "thin" sound. Not much difference when I added the sub (actually I turned the sub down some). The highs actually seemed to clear up some and overall imaging improved. The Paradigm Monitor 7s are still are a tad bright, but I believe upgrading my Yamaha RXV-596 receiver will help that.

Now, I thought that speaker wire didn't go bad. Am I wrong? Will a higher cost speaker wire help me even more.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Sounds like you might've had a bad connection. How're the wires terminated in either case?

3. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

I'd have to agree with Chu. Unless corrosion has gotten pretty bad in the wires or they have been flexed or abused enough to cause breaks in the strands, I would say it was a connection problem. Sometimes those problems can be avoided by regularly removing the wires and use a good contact cleaner/conditioner.

Bill

4. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

If it was just speaker that improved with the new wires, I would agree but there was a noticable improvment with all 3 front speakers. The 2 main speaker used banana plugs at one end and bare wire at the other. The center speaker has bare wire at each end. I had just recut the 12 gauge a couple months ago to expose "new" wire for the connections so the connections should have been clean.

Now I do know that Home Depot sells 3 different brands or models of 12 gauge wire becuase I bought wire 3 times and each time the look and writing on the wire was different. I used wire from 1 trip for all 3 front speakers, maybe there was something wrong with the wire from that trip.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but things definately improved. The bass is more audible, powerful and cleaner than before. The midrange is also cleaner. The bass isn't as clean and powerful as I would like (I believe I need a new amp to get to that level) but the change in wire definately helped.