Does speaker wire all have to be the same length?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd K, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Is there any reason why the speaker wire running to my surround speakers has to be the same length? In order to conceal the wires, I will be running the wire to the surround along a side wall. Obviously, the distance to the surround farthest from that wall will necessitate a longer wire. So, should both surround wires be made longer so they are of identical length, or is it OK if the length to one is shorter than the length to the other?

Thanks for the input,

Todd K.

2. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it's ok if they are different lengths.

You might want to convince yourself first. There are different opinions on this.

-David

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Todd. I would definitely not concern myself with the speaker lenghts for your surrounds. The surround information runs through so many processes before it reaches the sound is produced that it could be silly to be putting much thought on their lenghts. Besides, it's not like one is double the lenght of the other right? Even if it is it shouldn't cause a problem.

I would be more concerned with the fronts however.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

and for strike 3, it would take an enormous difference in distance before you'd hear anything. do what works in your particular situation.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Without getting too technical, electricity moves at the speed of light, so if your fronts were on the moon.. Oh, skip that.

Blenn

6. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

OK, I think I'm convinced. I had to be 100% sure, since I have some serious neuroses about such things. The difference in length for the surround cables wouldn't be more than the length of the back living room wall, which is something like 14 feet or so. And I guess since the lengths for the rear, center and fronts are all different anyways, and I've never noticed anything before, I should be fine. (The length of both the front cables are indeed the same.)

Thanks guys,

Todd

7. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

With the surrounds it's not that big of a deal, differing lengths won't have much, if any of an impact. Now your mains would be a different story.

8. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

9. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

The ending damping factor is greatly influenced by the length and Ga. of cable you use.
    Below is a damping calculator that illustrates the differences in damping factor between various wire lengths and guages.
    http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/dampfact.htm

10. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

I'm using unequal lengths between my front speakers which are about 10ft apart. I have a 3ft run to the left, and about 9ft to the right. In the past, I have used equal lengths, but no longer think it's necessary. There is no audible difference that I can detect, and the instilation,in my case, is a little neater doing it this way. Also, a little cheaper this way, since you don't have to purchase un-needed wire.

11. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer