does speaker cable REALLY matter? Honestly..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 9, 2001.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I don't believe the monster cable hype myself but, which speaker wire do you recommend hooking from speakers to receiver?
    Name some LOCAL places that most people would be able to travel to, to go by some [​IMG]

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i use regular Home Depot 12-gauge. its good quality IMO and works for me.

3. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Thanks

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Everything matters and some things are more sensitive to changes than others. Don't overlook the connectors. A good connection (e.g. locking or tight fitting banana or tinned wires screwed in tightly) will also make a difference

5. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    one audio shop I went to had Paradigm Reference hooked up using $3-4 per foot Cardas wire.

Anyone hear anything good about Cardas?

6. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

I second the Home Depot 12 gauge speaker cable. Best price imo.

7. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Paul,

I'm not sure what Cardas you have heard but my first great experience with highend cable was with Cardas goldencross. Switched between it and bulk Van-der hul ( at I believe around $8 a foot) wow night and day! It wasn't only me in the room and it was a blind test...

Nice stuff if you have the money!

8. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    I also agree with the Home Depot suggestions. That or Radio Shack.

Paying $2-3-4-8+! dollars a foot is wasting money IMHO ESPECIALLY if you are just using middle of the road equipment found at your local GG, or CC style stores (like many folks are around here).

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the type of wire you choose depends upon what your preferences are. if the appearance of the cable is your primary concern then you may well not be pleased with home depot. for some, appearance and brand name take preference as well as the 'approving' nods of your home theater friends and associates. however, if you're basing your decisions upon which speaker cable sounds best then you'll find that the suggestions mentioned as well as say SoundKing available from PartsExpress will serve you well. The general statements of just using 12 gauge all around works quite well. The few controlled tests that have been performed suggest that simlar wires (same length and gauge) are indistiguishable from each other. It is only when one goes to a very small wire such as 28 gauge that some differences have been noted. It goes without saying that one should have good connections but that doesn't mean you need to pay extraordinary amounts for that. take the money you save and pick up some movies.

as far as your blind tests Miles, perhaps you'd care to provide the details.

10. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Chu,

I'm not looking to provoke a fight between cable advocates, and or DBT's and the like, I will simply state that some one else switched the cables and there was a noticable difference in sound... and wrt your comments on 12 gauge cable, you are right the majority of the time the stuff sounds great...

Miles

11. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Why sweat over it? Get some cable you're comfortable with and relax! I spent about $200 on speaker cable and I simply don't worry about it anymore (Monster XPHP in front, XP for the rears). Yes, there's much cheaper cable and yes, there's much more expensive cable but since I'm a middle-of-the-road kind of guy, this suits me just fine.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

13. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

If you don't have any, it certainly matters. [​IMG]
    I would second the Home Depot rec. What I did in the past was to use 16g wire but used two pieces per channel(I twirled the gold and silver sides for the pos. terminal and another twirled 16g wire for the neg terminal).

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

miles, i wasn't looking to provoke a fight of any sort with my question asking for further clarification on the test you partook of. many 'emporiums' have vested interests in selling expensive cables especially since markups are quite large and a disproportionate amount of their profits come from it. to that end its important for the consumer to understand and ask many questions when presented with in-house tests. for example when output levels are not matched, people frequently select as better that which is louder...again, no provoking was intended.

15. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

16. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Chu,
    No offense was taken, I was just trying to avoid any inflamatories... [​IMG] wrt matched levels etc, I was in the store to listen only 2K cdn is way out of my budget for cabling. I did however manage to scoop some monster M2.4 and z3 at good prices and I am relatively pleased with the performance... speaking of matching levels, a friend and I did some tests with power cables, one I made vs stock and I was able to identify which cable was which, however the levels although matched on the pre-amp where not actually matched. The stock cable was 1db louder and it was audible! (ps I prefered the quieter of the 2 [​IMG] )
    Miles

17. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I purchased a pair of Nordost Superflat Bi-wired cables for $225 per pair and noticed a tremendous difference. My wife's comment was that CD's sounded cleaner. I was hearing things on my CD's I had never heard before. It was definitely a great investment for me. I got a great upgrade without having to buy new speakers.

Will the results be the same for everyone? Absolutely not. Sound and satisfaction of the sound is all subjective.

18. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'll give a crack.
    Does speaker cable matter? A resounding yes. What kind should you get and how much should you spend? That's a personal decision only you can make. Good 12 gauge like the others suggested is a great place to start. Then if you feel up to it try out some nicer cables - if you like the sound great! If not then stick to what you've got and try some more.
    I can't go into my personal experience because I'm a EE, my education makes me disbelieve what I'm hearing. [​IMG]

19. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I was just wondering. Do speaker cables need to be upgraded? My cables are 4 years old. Will they be okay? They're 16 gauge I think. Will going to 12 gauge be an improvement and will I notice the difference?

20. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

John,I am so glad to know there are others that believe what their ears are trying to tell them. Bravo!