does someone feel like doing a little "hand-holding" to get me started in HDTV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Anthony*B, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

here's the story as it stands now: HiFi place near us is going out of business, liquidating, & i bought from them an older Sharp ATSC tuner & a Marantz SR4400(?), both for 400$ even (not a superb deal, but a decent one I thought)...enjoying the Marantz of course, but the HDTV tuner is sitting there useless at the moment, as I have no antenna....can any of you "hand hold" me as to what my next steps/equipment should be, keeping in mind we are VERY low on $$ at the moment (always really, hehe)? I have tried to do research & have found several things out, but now it's just a jumble of half-remembered facts that need straightened out: I know I need a decent antenna/amplifier, but what brand? how much are they generally? will i have to constantly be outside turning the antenna to get better reception (knowing that i can't afford an expensive motorized rotator for it - if there even is such a thing)?
    where do you get the giant metal poles to attach the antenna to the house? will my wife go for that? [​IMG] as you can see, im a bit flustered & would LOVE a little help, as we (my wife & I) are both VERY anxious to see what all the HDTV fuss is about & see our favorite programs (E.R.!!!) in high def...here are my specs from antennaweb.org (and yes, I know I'm pretty far from the towers, which leads to MORE questions about what antenna I need)...oh and also: I want to be able to pick up UHF & VHF HDTV if possible, again w/out having to manually move the antenna all the time-perhaps a pipe dream..

blue - uhf KNLC 24 FMN ST. LOUIS MO 3° 34.2 24
    violet - vhf KETC 9 PBS St. Louis MO 13° 43.7 9
    violet - vhf WSIU 8 PBS CARBONDALE IL 76° 75.1 8
    violet - uhf WRBU 46 SAH EAST ST. LOUIS IL 8° 36.4 46
    violet - vhf KTVI 2 FOX ST. LOUIS MO 14° 47.6 2
    violet - uhf KDNL 30 ABC ST. LOUIS MO 15° 51.3 30
    violet - vhf KPLR 11 WB ST. LOUIS MO 18° 48.4 11
    violet - vhf KMOV 4 CBS ST. LOUIS MO 18° 48.4 4
    violet - vhf KSDK 5 NBC ST. LOUIS MO 15° 50.4 5

thank you very much in advance for any help anyone can offer!

2. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

unless you buy a big antenna if those are miles away indicated in those specs your not gonna get very much with a small antenna. 20miles away and a small directional antenna got me just enough to watch HDTV.

big antenna my friend. unless you live in a flat area you might pick-up some stations.

3. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

what exactly is considered a "big" antenna?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Something that wouldn't fit inside a living room easily.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

One of those 120" or longer monsters.

6. Mike JL

Mike JL Extra

Go to Radio Shack and talk to a salesman. You don't have to buy anything, but they can show you what you need and how much it will cost.