Does Size Matter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Pomeroy, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

I'm extreamly close to ordering my parts to make my sub, but there is just one thing that I'm wondering about: On the adire page, it has suggested alignments, like the 25.5L, something, and something else, all with their respective Q values. I was wondering if I were to design my own box, inbetween on of these values, would I be missing out on a lot, or anything at all for that matter? Are those just suggested because of their well known Q values, or is it because of some "harmonic distortion" or somthing that I do not undertstand?
    Thanks very much for your help,
    Will

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Lower Q = bigger box = better sound. And you can pick any Q you want and design your box to fit that volume. There's nothing special about the Adire designs except the boxes are already planned out.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Q value of a box depends greatly on the driver used. With one driver a 2ft^3 box might result in a Q less than 0.6 while with a different driver the same box will result in a Q closer to 1.

If you designed a box with a volume in between the suggested allignments you'll get a Q in between those allignments Q.

To lower the Q value you make the box bigger, to higher it you make the box smaller.

Edit:

Or as Dustin would have wrote if his brain wasn't mush from working on his 424 project due on tues.

To lower the Q value you make the box bigger, to increase it you make the box smaller. Q values 0.6 or lower are usually considered best (although going below 0.5 isn't optimal either).

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

"to higher it"? [​IMG] Sorry, it just struck me funny.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

As an example of what Dustin is saying, my dual SV12 sealed enclosures have an internal volume of 3.4ft^3 with about 3 lbs. of stuffing to get a Qtc of .7. If I replace the drivers with the Dayton DVC 12's I then will have a Qtc around .6! So I'm seriously contemplating doing just that.
    Lowering the Qtc seems much more logical to me than "to higher it"!
    Sorry Dustin! [​IMG]
    Pat, how was your softball game?!
    Brian

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In terms of Q, our bats were severely damped (low Q), while the other team's bats were well under-damped (high Q). (i.e. we got clobbered).

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

But the real question, what was your individual BL value?
    BL=Beer Loading! [​IMG]

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

3 for 3, 2 RBI (real beers ingested?)

(Apologies to Will for sidetracking his thread. Now we return you to the question on everyone's minds: Does size matter).

9. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator