What's new

Does size matter? (Toshiba 20AF41 vs. 27A41) (1 Viewer)

Nick_Shah

Stunt Coordinator
I am plagued with the following problem. I am able to get either the Toshiba 20AF41 (20" flat screen model) or the Toshiba 27A41 (27" standard screen model) for roughly the same price.
I have seen both these sets, and am suitably impressed. The inputs and outputs are roughly (if not exactly) the same. I am hungering for a flat screen set, but I'm not sure whether it's worth the drop in screen size. Viewing distance will likely be short, much less than 10 feet. The speakers in the TV will not be used.
I should mention that viewing will be roughly 40% DVD, 10% VHS and 50% cable television.
Any suggestions? Or does anyone have first-hand experience with either of these models?
-Nick

Rick Julian

Auditioning
Can you spend a little more?
The 27AF41 is a nice flat screen with more options. Can be had for $499 or so if you negotiate.
Rick J
------------------

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Nick, I own a 20AF41 and last year's 27A40. I've posted various things regarding them here so I won't go into the pros and cons of each. I'd say if your eyes are going to be around ~5 feet from the set, the 20AF41 will look about the same as if you were ~7 feet from the 27 inch set (3 * diagonal length). So, I think what you decide depends on viewing distance. And since you'll be using it for dvd movies 40 percent of the time, you want to go with the bigger picture unless you'll be within that 5 foot range. You may want to look at the 27AF41 as Rick suggested if you really like flat screen tubes, depending on your budget constraints.
good luck,
--tom

Nick_Shah

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,
I could spend a little more, but I'd rather not. I might end up on a sick spiral to the $20K plasma screen. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Thomas,
You've definitely given me something to chew on. I'll return to the store with my optimum viewing distance in mind. This should help me narrow down my choices. Perhaps I can sacrifice the flat screen for a larger set... hmmm...
Thank you for your help.
If anyone else (or either of the gentlemen mentioned above) has anything to add, I'm all ears.
-Nick

Rick Julian

Auditioning
Nick
If you decide on the 27" Toshiba, go with the 27a40 if it is still available.
600 res vs 560 res
3 line vs 2 line comb filter
10 watt vs 5 watt
etc.
Toshiba cut back on features on the 27a41.
Nick and Tom with 40% DVD I would go with Flat and the larger screen. But with the money you save you can buy the 27a40 and the Toshiba 2700 dvd player for same price as the 27AF41.
Good luck and have fun.
Rick J
------------------
[Edited last by Rick Julian on August 06, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Rick, I agree. If I had not bought the 27A40 last winter and only had the 27A41 to choose from, I think I'd opt to spend more money and get the flat screen version (or do what I will probably end up doing, upgrading to a 32 inch flat tube HDTV-ready set :) ) Not sure why Toshiba has "dumbed" down the the 27A41 vs the earlier A40. Front inputs are about the only new feature that I would have liked on the A40.
cheers,
--tom

Rick Julian

Auditioning
Tom
Saw a really nice Sony 32" Wega this weekend while shopping. Can not remember which model. Think it was the 32FV27. Nicest picture on the line.
Played with scan velocity high/low/off control on the Sony. Graphics were real sharp in comparison to the 27AF41 and other sets. Panasonic looked nice too.
Sears had a couple of 32" HDTV sets side by side on display. Nice pictures.Look out for digital artifacts when comparing.
May upgrade my 5 year old Elite this fall. Waiting to see where the Elite prices are going first.
Rick J
------------------
[Edited last by Rick Julian on August 06, 2001 at 11:17 PM]

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
Can't speak to the quality of the sets but at 10 feet you are actually slightly farther away than the CVD (critical viewing distance) for the 27" set. For a CVD primer
http://www.theperfectvision.com/howto/howto_tech_4.htm
Bottom line: sit further away than the CVD and you just lose resolution. Sit closer and you gain impact but you also see start to see screen structure (scan lines being the best known).
Personally, I can happily watch standard, interlaced DVD on a 27" set from as little as 5 feet away. Yes I can see scan lines but only until I get caught up in the picture, which happens almost at once. But if I sit closer than 5 feet, I find that my aging eyes have trouble focusing.
OTA, cable, satellite, etc is another matter. Some of that won't look good no matter where you sit.
These things are all personal and subjective. Try going to a best buy with a tape measure and see what works for you.
------------------

derek

Second Unit
Rick: Many of the online websites are listing specs for the Toshiba 27A41 w/ 3 line comb filter, 5 watts/channel even some with front A/V etc. Are these just the old 27A40 specs? Best Buy has the 27A41 at $299 this week.
I'm trying to decide on the 27A41 vs. the Panasonic CT-27D11 which has all the features I'm looking for (3 line comb filter, front a/v, 5 watts/channel, component.) Costco has the Panasonic CT2772S which I think is the same model as the 27D11 (same features) for $320. Any recommendations or other sets I should look at?
------------------
Derek
Surround EX FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...urroundex.html

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Derek, the 3 line digital comb filter plus 10 watts audio are the specs for the 27A40 which I own. The specs on a official Toshiba site (www.toshiba.ca) show that the 27A41 has a 2 line digital comb filter and only 5 watts audio but it has a front A/V input. The 27A40 does not have the latter feature. In addition, the 27A41 is only rated at 560 lines of horizontal resolution while the 27A40 was rated at 600. Now, the difference in comb filters and resolution are probably, in reality, pretty minor, and users wouldn't even notice the difference. My theory is, if they have made the regular A series a little more low end, I think it is so they can sell more of their flat tubes - the 27AF41.
cheers,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks