What's new

Does SilL504 do upscale? (1 Viewer)

Peter Ping

Agent
I know that Faroudja FLI2300 does both deinterlacing and upscaling up to 1080i, but how about Silicon Image SiL504? Does Sil do both deinterlacing and upscaling? Thanks.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No thats why Denon uses the newer Faroudja for their DVI upscaling player, and the Si504 for the non-scaling models.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
The SiL504 doesn't do upscaling, but it can be used with other chips that do the upscaling. DVDO is coming out with a new HD iScan unit in about 2 weeks that uses the SiL504 for deinterlacing and will also upscale all the way to 1080P using scaling by Anchor Bay Technologies. The price of admission will be steep, retailing for $1,495.

Peter Ping

Agent
The price tage of the new SiL504 chipset is too high. I'd rather stick to FIL23xx chip. However, 1080p is very attractive. I have read somewhere about not to buy anything that is NOT 1080p-ready. How can we keep up with the advance of new techonologies?

BTW, does upscaling via DVI improve little for CRT-based HDTV? I have a 34" widescreen HDTV (RCA D34w20 with 910 lines) with one DVI-D (HDCP) input (in addition to two component inputs). Can a DVD player with Faroudja FIL23xx truly output 720p or 1080i to my HDTV monitor?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend saving your one DVI port for a true HD STB, not the fake upscaled players.

Peter Ping

Agent
I have a Dish Network HD STB 811, which is connected via DVI-D to my HDTV. I also want to take advantage of upscaling my collected DVDs. I am willing to switch them around. I am curious about the effect of upscaling. Can anyone comment on the effect of upscaling DVDs to 720p/1080i to CRT HDTV monitors?

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Dale, good to see you here. You're doing a great job of supporting the iScan HD over at the AVSforum. Keep working on those sharpness/edge enchancement controls.

I think what Peter is really referring to is the cost of the DVD players with these chipsets.

Sharp makes a player with a FIL23xx chip that can be purchased for about $100 and they go up from there. The cheapest SiL504 player that comes to mind is the Denon 2200 that is around $500. This of course doesn't shed light on the cost of the chips themselves because the Denon has numerous other features that the Sharp doesn't share.

For players that share roughly the same features, it seems that the cost of the FIL23xx chip and the SiL504 are fairly close. My guess is that chipset for chipset, the SiL504 is actually the cheaper chipset?

Personally, based on the performance I see with the SiL504 in my iScan Ultra, I'll stick with this chipset and probably be upgrading to the iScan HD with the tradein and free cables deal that's now being offered at the DVDO website.

Peter Ping

Agent
Jay: Thanks. I was referring to the cost of DVD players that apply the two chips. As for the cost of the chips themselves, I would guess that Sil504 is still more expensive than FLI2300/2301 [with HDCP]/2310 [for DVI] just because of the additional feature of upscaling on FLI23xx, which SiL504 does not have. As for the performance of the DVD players with the two chips, Secrets shootout ranks both high.

Jay: I thought that FLI2300 is able to upsale to 1080p. Am I wrong? Are there any other DVD players that can upscale to 1980p?

Allan: FLI2300 has both deinterlacing AND upscaling features.

Dale Adams

Grip
I have to admit that the logic escapes me here. Chip A has more features than Chip B, so Chip A must cost less. Okay. . . .

Also, when did Faroudja (Genesis) announce a FLI23xx chip which has a built-in DVI w/HDCP transmitter?

- Dale Adams

Peter Ping

Agent
Dale, What I mean is that if two chips are priced the same and Chip A has more features, Chip A costs less from value/cost ratio perspective.

I do not know when FLI2310 was realeased (at the beginning of 2003?). I do not know if FLI2310 has a built-in DVI transmitter. I am no expert on this. I just know FLI2310 is a version of FLI2300 for digital outputs.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't word it as Chip A costs less, I would word it as "a better value" or "more bang for the buck" or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks