Does (screen) Size Matter?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PatB, Dec 10, 2003.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I haven't been to the movies in a long time. Almost a year I think. I don't have an elaborate home theater setup, just a DVD player a 21" trinitron and some speakers but I don't know what I'm missing. Or if I'm missing anything. The first time I saw the "Shawshank Redemption", "The Sweet Hereafter" "Thief" and many other great films was right here, in my apartment on this equipment, but I was blown away by them all, and more. Am I missing something by not watching things on fancy equipment or a giant screen? I even confess that I saw the Hulk on a 15" PC monitor but still really enjoyed it and I think came away with the same feeling and opinion about it had I seen it on the big screen. I know that there are many people who believe in their equipment and I'm sure that if I had their money I would too, but it just seems that a good movie is a good movie and a bad one is a bad one, no matter if you're watching it on a watchman or a plasma screen. Please note, during the above mentioned movies I have not had to deal with one cell phone ringing, baby crying, person talking, or getting up in front of my to use the bathroom. What do you all think?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

A movie is experienced best when it is:

1) viewed the way the director intended it to be (OAR!) [​IMG]

2) immerses you and drowns out all distractions

like it or not, a big ol widescreen is currently the best way to do these two video-wise. It's not just about egos. [​IMG]

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I watch most DVDs on my computer with a 17" Flat Display Trinitron and Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers. It's adequate, but if I had $500 to upgrade, I'd spend it on an upgrade to a 5.1 system instead of a monitor upgrade. It'd be nice if I had a 100" front projection system, but I think it's all a matter of sound quality and how close you are to the screen.

4. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Well that may be something that I left out, but OAR is a must, and that's another thing, now except with an exception here or there I see everything the way it was meant to be seen. OAR wise at least.

5. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

A lot of details are lost on the small screen simply because it's small. I recently saw The Naked Gun on the big screen for the first time and even though I've seen the film 100 times, I noticed some background gags for the first time.

A good bit of photography does not translate over to video very well at all. For instance, with Amadeus, the soft lighting looks so much more impressive in film (it's hard to describe, you really have to see it to understand). You also lose so much detail from the baroque decor of the numerous rooms in the film. Vertigo is another film video transfers make the photography look duller than it really is. The fog filters also come out looking more natural on film.

On video you pretty much lose the strobe/motion effect of projected film.

Best sollution to avoid people who don't know how to STFU during a movie is going after the second week of release, or find a theater around where a lot of old people live (they typically don't have cell phones and are too cheap to get up in the middle of the movie to buy more food - they don't buy food at all)

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Girls tell me it's not about size... it's about width...
    16 x 9, baby [​IMG]

7. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I've only got the 40" XBR. I sit farely close and the image it produces is amazing, therefore the experience is great. When I go to the movie I wish I had a screen that big also.

It's just personal taste, but the TV's I've seen at friends house that are 65" WS do not make me wish I had one........yet. I've found the picture to not be as sharp as mine, partly because mine is much smaller than 65". The only thing I miss is the little tiny details you see with a larger set.

For me, right now, screen size doesn't matter all that much. Until I find a WS large set that looks as good as mine then I'll be happy with what I have. But I will admit, even though I feel the image isn't quite as sharp, those 65" WS sets, with all the lights out in the room, full surround sound, are really something great when watching a movie like LOTR. I still remember seeing this one scene and, well, I need to stop because it's making me want to go buy one tomorrow.

So to answer your question, yes.

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I have a 42" plasma in the bedroom and still feel like I'm missing out compared to the 120" in the living room. For me, it's all about screen size.

9. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

A quick note, you can pickup an X1 and a pull-down screen for a little north of $1K. That should tide you over until you understand the pros/cons of FP more. I did the same thing. First with my LT150 and no with my HT1000.

10. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

But what I'm saying is that I get a feeling from the movies that I'm sure the directory had intended for the viewer, regardless of the equipment. It's the content for me. I saw the second Matrix on IMAX and I would have rather just watched my DVD of A Simple Plan again if I'm going to be spending 2 hours like that.

11. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Well they don't use 50 feet screens in theaters for nothing.

12. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Making money might have something to do with that.

13. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Screen size does matter. I think most movies will have more of a impact on people when viewed on a larger screen. For example, does anyone think Saving Private Ryan has the same effect when viewed on a hand held unit with 5" screen as opposed to a 65" widescreen display with a SVS sub etc?

14. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

one should differentiate two things:.
    viewing angle: on small monitor you are likely to have a small viewing angle. Thist may be tiring to your eyes since the cannot wander around on the picture. On the other hand, the angle can be as large as in the theater, if you just go close enough to the screen. But a larger absolute size allows you to keep a distance, in which you do not have to adjust your eyes to close distances which can be tiring again. In summary small sizes can be tiring for the eyes.

15. John S

John S Producer

I wish I were like you, I would of saved a lot of money....

But, I am not, to me it makes the difference between being there, or watching an image on a screen and I would rather be there.

But even for you, where do you draw the line???

I mean, when does the experience start to lessen for you?

In your line of logic, you could have bad static in your audio, and snow all over the screen, but as long as you could get all the content, you would be happy?

And it would be as good as the theater?

16. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

It's not just content as in information, it's the power of the actors the images, the camera moves the editing, the whole thing. I think I was driving more towards the point that if something is good or meaningful to me it would be regardless. Of course snow and static is going too far, that's not how anything was intended to be watched, and I wouldn't make a regular practice of watching things on my PC until I got a bigger monitor but this was not all about technical issues, it was more from an dare I say 'artistic' point of view.

17. John S

John S Producer

Well I can assure you movie makers, make them knowing theaters have very large wide screens....

I mean with large screen and killer sound.

The scary parts are scarier.
    The powerfull parts are more powerfull.
    The soft parts much softer.
    The explosions are nearly real.

Like I said, it is the difference between being there and watching on a screen.

But your right to a point, we all get to decide for ourselves where our threashold for satisfaction is.

There must be a reason, all my friends choose my house to watch all the sports on. The reason always given is the sound and screen size.

I also am having to limit the number of people that get the first screening after I install my HDTV too. I got like 20 people that wanted to come, and only seating for 12 max.

18. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I don't think that I can agree with

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

On a smaller display you will probably lose some fine detail. This is more on how your brain/eyes function with minutia than the technically low-res 640X480 DVD your watching.

On a larger display the minutia detail is large enough for your brain to fully comprehend, AND there is the psychological impact of a big image. Most people tend to enjoy larger images.

20. John S

John S Producer

You know what? I have had a big screen for so long, I don't think I am qualified to give any sort of unbiased perspective on this.

I guess I can see your point, sort of like reading a really good book, heck there is no audio or video involved with that at all, yet I find it very enjoyable, engaging, the scary parts are very scary.