Does Ryan Adam's COLD ROSES sound Dead or unDead?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, May 20, 2005.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    After listening to this album for a week or so, it's so, so Grateful Dead sounding. Most especially, Disc #2. The title cut sounds like a song lost from the Aoxomoxoa sessions. He seems to have a good handle on Jerry's guitar style. I'm not critisizing him for sounding Dead or unDead. I mean, his last album was like U2. Who will he mimmic next? To me, Adams is the most derivative rock/pop/kuntry musican possible, maybe? I kind'a like him that way.

2. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

I really enjoy his music! I Own all of his stuff minus Whiskey Town. I am loving Cold Roses....I can't comment on how Dead it sounds because I have honestly never really listened to the Dead. Adams is a very versatile musician and amazes me in the quantity of songs he creates with quality lyrics.

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Me likey it all!!!!!!!
    Cannot comment on the dead though[​IMG]

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Ya'all should listen to some Dead music. AMERICAN BEAUTY is an intesting starting point. Ryan, apparently, does.

5. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

I'd say UnDead... Cold Roses sounds more like the Jayhawks than the Dead to me.

Tom

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm not sure I ever heard them Tom. I have heard of them but I might have heard them on college radio in the fuzzy-wuzzy past...? Hay, then they must sound like the Dead too!?![​IMG]

How long since you listened to Axomoxa? Ryan's got everything but the harpsicord sound that going on in that album. I think he latched on to their 60's sound. Have ya been a Dead fan? I'm far from a Dead-head but I've seen them 3 times, actually, long before the Dead-head thang was going on. He's definitely not doing the first S/T'ed Dead with the whiney organ. But after that...me thinks.

I'll have to hear these Jayhawks. They sound like outlaws.[​IMG]

7. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Rachael, check them out!
    http://www.thejayhawks.net/ Rainy Day Music is pretty good musically, although the sound quality is nothing to write home about.

I'm not a Dead fan, I remember hearing songs off American Beauty back in the day...then Touch of Grey, but nothing else.

Tom

8. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

For the Jayhhawks, try Holllywood Town Hall or Tomorrow the Green Grass. The latter album is nearly a perfect work IMHO.

And for those who are listening to Ryan Adams but have not heard Whiskeytown, you are missing something great. I highly recommend Strangers Almanac. That one is a perfect work.

David

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I figured more folks would of heard atleast 4 or 5 Dead albums. They must of made 40 or so, plus all those bootlegs. I listened to and modestly liked the Dead in the late 60's and early 70's. I saw them at Watkin-Glen racetrack and twice at the Academy of Music in Citidad York Neuevo. I've listened to enough Dead to have a good handle on them and their sound.

I don't get the Dead out too often anymore. Why would I need to with Ryan around? He does the Dead better than the actual Dead. I suspec that the Jaywawks may also...? I always pick on Ryan's influences very quickly. What next?

10. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

I don't think Cold Roses sounds like a Dead album as much as Adam's guitar sounds like Jerry's. If that makes any sense. [​IMG] I think the Dead vibe, however, was intentional. Even the album art is a nod to American Beauty. Ryan played with Phil Lesh recently, so there's definately a connection.

Anyone who is a fan of alt-country, americana, or whatever you wnat to call it needs to listen to The Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead. It and American Beauty are 2 classic American rock records that every music fan should own. Check out some samples on Amazon or allmusic.com if you don't believe me. [​IMG]

11. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Absolutely! Every friend I have that doesn't get into the Dead still managed to think very highly of these two albums...Especially Workingman's.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Bill, I think he went for the vocal sound too. The guitar he absolutely has down to my ear. If I had to give up my all but one of my Dead albums, I'd keep American Beauty. ...well, Casey Jones might convince me otherwise...?

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Carl, uuugh, ug, uh, uh, me-ee tongue is stuck to my cheek.[​IMG] My-yy tongue is in my cheek and it won't let go![​IMG] Seriously, if I feel like listening to Garcia these days, I'm way more likely to put on his side projects, Hooter Roll. Meryl Sanders, and don't laugh too loud, Pac-Man Fever. I own a Junior Pac-Man game. BTW, I'm undfeated. In some quarters I'm known as Dot Mongur. I like eating dots with Jerry. [​IMG]

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I love Ryan Adams but haven't heard this one yet. I also can say I'm not a big fan of the dead (but not really a fault of the band's really...blame an ex-girlfriend). Anyway, It will be interesting if I can hear any similarities in this disc...

Oh yeah...the Jayhawks are awesome. I can vouche for both Rainy Day Music and Tomorrow the Green Grass....again, preferably the latter rather than the former, but they are both excellent!

15. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The Jayhawks have made my list of CD's to nick when I see them used at the Disc Exchange. I'll listen to some sample, but how bad can they be given to who'in's ya'all is comparing them 2...? I feel like I've heard them a time or two on College radio, this is a big college radio citidad, 3 stations. However, I'm not picturin' any details, just haze.

What'cha waiting for Evan? Put on your tye-dyed T-shirt and cop one. Incense is optional... [​IMG]

16. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Rachael,
    I had the oportunity to listen to disc 2 a bunch today, (I was working in the garage, getting ready for a river trip).
    I think you've got ol' Ryan figgered out. To me, disc 1 sounds like the Jayhawks, most of disc 2 sounds like Jerry Garcia.
    I still like Gold the best. Who was he then?

Tom

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tom, the thing I noticed about Gold was that he got the intros for many of the songs from famous songs. One song has The Weight's intro, one song has the rhythm and intro of Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress. Gold doesn't seem locked in to a particular artist. Rock N Roll is more U2 than the real U2, IMO. I think I started a thread about that here...?

I was by the Disc Exchange today and grabed a used copy of the Jayhawk's ...Green Grass. I'll proably listen to it later. I gave to run an errand for my mom. Later![​IMG]

18. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tom, when BLUE by the Jayhawks came on, it was very familar. I must of heard it on college radio since that's about all I've listened to since to much for atleast the last 20 years. Another song sounded vaguely familar too. BLUE, I've heard repeatedly someime in the past. It's a purr-dy good album for $8. [​IMG]

19. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I've never heard any of Ryan Adams material, but I've heard it's not a good idea to scream to hear "Summer of '69" when you go see him live. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The "Ryan Adams kicking out the fan requesting Bryan Adams" story has become an urban legend but from what I understand, it's actually true. However, what you don't hear about when most people tell the story is that the "fan" was supposedly very obnoxious the entire night prior to this and "play 'Summer of 69'" was more of the straw that broke the camel's back as opposed to the "overreaction of an arrogant rock star" that it's frequently described as.