What's new

Does room size affect how low the subwoofer can go? (1 Viewer)

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
hi to all!
my room is about 17' x 13' x 9' (L,w,H). i am wondering
if i use a sub that is capable of reproducing 20hz and below like the servo15, will i hear or feel these frequencies? if not then i can save some money and buy a smaller sized sub that can just go to about 24hz.
thanks in advance.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Headphones can do 20hz. Those are a pretty small "room". Room size doesn't matter (except if it's huge of course, but that's another issue).
------------------
My Home Theater Page

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
thank you very much. i just become confused when i read
from another forum that the room size is a major factor
on how low the subwoofer can go.

MarkO

Second Unit
Small rooms do limit the low end. Im not sure exacaly how. Maybe Tom V will chime in here. My guess is that small rooms hinder the long wave needed to reproduce the really low stuff because of early reflections.

Dirk E

Auditioning
Hi MarkO,
sorry, but what you wrote is incorrect. One of the SVS-people explained this "small room, low bass"-thing a few month ago.
You can get a lot of deep bass in a small room, a car or even a headphone. Size doesn`t matter. Small rooms tend to boost low frequencies. Believe me, my room is only 10m² and I get a lot of deep bass down to 20 Hz.
I hope Tom or Ron can explain it again in more detail.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Here is my Understanding (open for discussion/debait) :):
If your sub can go 20 hz, you will hear 20 hz.
But in a normal room, you are hearing 2 types of sound:
- Direct
- Reflected
Much of the time, the walls of the room will reflect several frequencies much better than others.
Here is how to calculate the frequency a wall will reflect:
Measure the long, un-broken wall in feet. Let's say 8 feet, 6 inches. This becomes 8 + (6/12) = 8.5 feet.
To get the frequency that this wall will reflect better than others, do this:
frequency (base) = 565/L = 565/8.5 = 66 hz.
But wait, that wall will also reflect 2/3/4 times this base-frequency quite well. So the wall will enhance all of these frequencies:
66, 133, 199, 266 hz
Take a smaller 5 foot wall, the numbers become:
frequency (base) = 565/5 = 113
So this wall will enhance:
113, 226 hz
(Note: We stop calculating at about 300 hz or after 4 frequencies).
So a small room wont ENHANCE the lower-frequencies like a room with longer walls will.
Now lets analyze your room:
17' wall: 33, 66, 100, 133
13' wall: 43, 86, 130, 174
9' wall: 63, 126, 188, 251
So the room will ENHANCE: 33, 43, 63, 66, 100, 126, 130, 133
But if you listen to pipe-organ music, the sub will still produce 20 hz sounds. It just wont get help from the room until about 33 hz.
Hope this helps. :)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I see much has been explained.
Generally,the larger the room...the smoothed the bass will be over a variety of seats because of the mode spacing. The smaller the room, the more *room gain* will allow the subwoofer extend lower.
Tom Nousaine acoustically mapped his old(2136 cu-ft) room and compared it to the mapping of his new (7500 cu-ft)room in a SR piece a while back. He found the smaller room increased 20hz bass performance 8.1dB and 25hz bass performance 3.6dB.
I believe 16hz was 11.5dB.
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks