Does Radio Shacks gold componant cables deliver the full progressive signal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I ask because I have a pretty good progressive player (Philips DVDR-985) connected to my 48" HD JVC with progressive capabilities using these Radio Shack componant cables and I still am having very slight noise problems on the 'Resolution' test patteren on AVIA.

Particularly in the grey circular patteren in the lower right hand corner of that patteren, it's very noisy and I know it should be perfectly still.

I've double checked everything and I have concluded that it must be these cables but am not sure. My monitor has a built-in 3-2 pull down feature and it looks exactly like what i'm seeing using progressive scan and this shouldn't be the case, progressive should be better than the tv's 3-2 pull down.

Sorry if that last part is confusing, but all I want to know is are these Radio Shack cables the culprit? Are they delivering the full progressive signal from my player? I know that componant cables should be rated at 75 ohms, however it didn't specify on the packaging if these cables were or not.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

try swaping cables and see if it makes a difference.
    Even a decent composite cable can be used in place of one.
    No difference? Then it might be something else

RS are decent and I have had more problems with Monster breaking/bad shield then RS
    Good luck

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

A few facts:

Component Video max frequency: 4 Mhz
    Progressive Video max frequency: 13 Mhz
    1080 HD Video max frequency: 35 Mhz

The Radio Shack Gold cables are good for the price, but my guess is they are designed for Component video signals and are rolling off the higher frequencies which results in a loss of focus/resolution.

Kudos to you for pulling out a static test pattern and noticing the problem. Most people only notice the $35 price tag for the RS cables and conclude "cables are cables".[​IMG]

Order a custom cable from one of the good cable sites. This will save you money and give you professional-grade cables. They are stiff, they are ugly (unless the site puts some fancy tech-flex around them), but they really are designed for HD video. www.bettercables.com has a good return policy for example.

Let us know what you do/discover.

4. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Bob,

You listed video specs that are required, but failed to point out that many 75 Ohm coax cables sold for HT use likely have a bandwidth capability of 150MHz, way beyond the requirements of progressive at 13MHz.

I doubt the quality of this RS video cable is the issue, although there could be a bad connection within the cable itself. The easy way to check is to use a single RS gold AV interconnect (75 Ohm) and replace each of the 3 component connections one at a time to see if there is any difference.

5. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

6. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Try BlueJeansCables , they make a very good component video cable, only about $50.00 with shipping for a six footer.It is all three cables in one package. No, it's not silver, but very good Belden coax with Canare connectors. It will have no problem with the HD signals.

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Thanks guys for the help. [​IMG] This is what i've got in mind at this point, a friend of mine bought a 12' set of Monster componant cables designed for HD, he paid 90 bucks for them at Circuit City and they do a great job on his set up so i'm going to give those a shot. I figure if they don't correct this problem I can return them.

Aside from replacing the cables, I don't really know what to do, if this doesn't work I fear I may have to live with this, slight as it may be. [​IMG] It's weird though, the progressive chip inside my recorder/player was supplied by Faroudia which is a reputable name, so I find it difficult to believe it's the player. Also, the review of my monitor in the February/March issue of Sound & Vision said the progressive mode was really decent. If a critic couldn't see this problem on this tv I must then conclude that it's either the cables or a malfunction in the tv. [​IMG]

I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I am a sucker for a thread with a graph[​IMG]
    Bob good info! Kind of strange that the Canare graph is 'per 100 feet'. Most HT Cables are under 12 ft and even a person like me who built cable trays under his house only has a few near 100 ft.

10. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Aldamon, I assure you the prices I quoted are near what I paid shopping at broadcast supply stores such as MarkerTek and HAV Inc. and other places.

The issues I raised ARE part of standard business cost analysis and manufacturing economics. Since you asked: