Does quality of receiver affect headphone jack?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Hollywoodaholic, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 1 Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Hey, I know it's a dumb question, but I have a lovely pair of Ultrasone 650 headphones, and an old RX-V793 Yamaha Receiver that's cutting out on me in the static/volume department whether through speakers or headphones. So I either fix for a couple hundred or buy a cheap receiver because all I want to do is listen to my vinyl through the headphones.

So does it matter? Can I get a under $200 receiver and still expect full quality through the headphone jack, or is that in any way differ by quality of the receiver? The Yamaha really sounded great, but I notice when I record CDs through a Sony recorder and listen to the headphones on that jack, it's not as good. Or is that just my perception?

2. 2 Aug 12, 2017 at 2:13 AM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 2:37 AM
    ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Headphone output quality seems like an after-thought and mixed bag on most receivers, and there doesn't seem to be much info out there about them... although Yamaha's lower end models might do a better job than many others I guess -- nowadays, I too have relegated my old-ish Yamaha RX-V663 to headphone-only duty driving my Sennheiser HD600s very well (and using an Oppo BDP-95 as primary source via analog connection).

Near as I can tell, one nice thing about the older (lower-end) Yamaha receivers is their optional pure audio mode that cuts out all processing. Not sure if more recent models still offer that ability.

IF I were you, I'd probably try looking into dedicated headphone amps instead of another low-end receiver (although not sure if there would be a good, affordable solution for your vinyl/turntable setup... unless it already outputs fully pre-eq line level signal). I've been considering on-and-off doing that myself... though I'm satisfied so far w/ my old receiver's output. You might try checking head-fi.org for recommendations.

_Man_

Hollywoodaholic likes this.
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ditto to what ManW said. Get a headphone amp and connect it to the Yamaha’s L/R output jacks.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Hollywoodaholic likes this.