What's new

Does quality of receiver affect headphone jack? (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hey, I know it's a dumb question, but I have a lovely pair of Ultrasone 650 headphones, and an old RX-V793 Yamaha Receiver that's cutting out on me in the static/volume department whether through speakers or headphones. So I either fix for a couple hundred or buy a cheap receiver because all I want to do is listen to my vinyl through the headphones.

So does it matter? Can I get a under $200 receiver and still expect full quality through the headphone jack, or is that in any way differ by quality of the receiver? The Yamaha really sounded great, but I notice when I record CDs through a Sony recorder and listen to the headphones on that jack, it's not as good. Or is that just my perception?

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Headphone output quality seems like an after-thought and mixed bag on most receivers, and there doesn't seem to be much info out there about them... although Yamaha's lower end models might do a better job than many others I guess -- nowadays, I too have relegated my old-ish Yamaha RX-V663 to headphone-only duty driving my Sennheiser HD600s very well (and using an Oppo BDP-95 as primary source via analog connection).

Near as I can tell, one nice thing about the older (lower-end) Yamaha receivers is their optional pure audio mode that cuts out all processing. Not sure if more recent models still offer that ability.

IF I were you, I'd probably try looking into dedicated headphone amps instead of another low-end receiver (although not sure if there would be a good, affordable solution for your vinyl/turntable setup... unless it already outputs fully pre-eq line level signal). I've been considering on-and-off doing that myself... though I'm satisfied so far w/ my old receiver's output. You might try checking head-fi.org for recommendations.

_Man_

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Interesting resolution to my issue. I found if I just leave my receiver on and it stays warm, the fluctuation issue goes away and the volume stays stable. So, burn a little electricity, keep the receiver, enjoy the headphones. Thanks again for responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks