Does power consumtion have anything to do with power output on receivers?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I finaly got to talk with a sherwood support person and asked about the power consumption of my receiver. so far this is what has happend. about 2 months ago I looked on the back of my receiver and noticed that it only consumes 200 watts of power and the maual says that it outputs 500 watts. I was told that it is impossible to output more power than it consumes. Here is what the Serwood guy said

"The power consumption has nothing to do with the power output. The power comsumption only tells you how efficint the unit is not how much power it outputs. It is like any other appliance in your house the power consumption only tells how efficint the apliance is."

This just sounds like a bunch of BS to me. But the service tech said that this receiver DOES output 100 watts per channel RMS. I find this hard to belive considering my dad (who is a computer engineer) says that it is impossible for my receiver to output 500 watts if it only consumes 200 watts. Maybe the 200 watts is just a minimum power consumption or something. I think i'm just going to give up and buy an Onkyo TX-DS595 or Denon AVR-1802.

Ryan

2. Ergin Guney

Ergin Guney Agent

I think your dad is right. The output watts is measured in the same electrical manner as the way the receiver's power consumption watts are measured. Since the receiver can't be creating energy out of nothing (kind of goes against the laws of the universe...), what comes out must have gone in at one point, and vice versa.

In fact, the power consumption is occasionally mentioned as a good giveaway of how "optimistic" an amplifier's power output specs are.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Besides all that, the thing heats up, and that takes energy, too.

I think about car's systems, though. A 12V battery sends power to a coil where it's whipped up to 50,000 volts to make spark. I think amperes come into play, and only an Electrical Engineer can really set us straight.

4. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

5. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I do believe that power consumption does make a difference in the power output. Most of the recivers Iwas looking at listed the consumption in amps though. For example, the power consumption of an Onkyo 494 is about 3.7A while my 797 consumes 6.8A and the 989 or Denon 5800 will consum about 11-12A. So yes in my opinion it does make a difference, just like in cars, a big air intake does mean an increase in hp.

6. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

perhaps another way to look at it is in the devilish details about product specifications.

1. How long is this 100w RMS measurement integrated over?

2. How many channels are running at 100w RMS at the time of measurement?

It may be able to support two channels at 100w/RMS at a time - for at least a short while, if it also has capacitors of a decent size in the power supply.

I seem to recall a big fiasco when Pioneer released their first AC-3 decoder/amp way back when, claiming 100w/c RMS... and everyone looking at it, its power supply, and testing it, discovering that it really only could handle 35w/c or so with all five channels running at the same time.

Is it legal? Yes. Is it dirty? Yes.

Leo Kerr

7. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Yeah, I hate when manufaturers claim 100wpc and then you find out in the fine print that it's with only 2 or 3 channels driven.

Very misleading.

8. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Does anyone know if the Onkyo TX-DS494 would have enough power for my paradigm titans? I really like the looks of it but if it's power output is to low I will consider the 595. this weekend i'm going back to circuit city and see if i can get store credit for this Sherwood receiver. By the way the titans are rated at 50 watts RMS and 100 watts max. They will be set to small on my receiver if that helps any. Thanks.

Ryan

9. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

10. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

i'm building a 230L sealed tempest in about two weeks. The remote I will be using is a one for all Cinema 7 so the remote does not matter to me much. The only thing i'm worried about with the 494 is that it might clip at higher volume levels, Is this true? I still think I really wan't to get the 494, if I can return this Sherwood I will only be paying $120 for the 494.

Ryan

11. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Nah, you shouldn't have any problems with clipping, the 494 is a tough little guy and should drive your Paradigms pretty well up to it's max output.

12. Ergin Guney

Ergin Guney Agent

Jerry,

13. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

My main speakers are about 6 ft in front of me. I have a very small HT 10' x 14' and the speakers are 2 ft off the long wall. I don't think the watts are going to be a big issue, I can play my sherwood really loud and it only outputs about 25 watts per channel. Both receivers sound like they will be a ton better than the sherwood so I guess it will all come down to what has the better features and sound.

Ryan

14. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Note: The 494 reportedly doesn't have delay/distance settings for any of the channels. You'll be much happier with the 595.