1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Does piracy help or hurt word-of-mouth movie buzz?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Martin Dew, May 20, 2019.

1. DVBRD

DVBRD Agent

Andy
    Well, that settles it. Hollywood, make more thrillers! ;)

2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    how about when something doesn't work but you bought it? I noticed yesterday that Psychoville season 1 and 2 blu ray doesn't work. I learned it's 50hz and not 60. region free, which is why I bought, but doesn't work. so it just plays the first logo and goes back to the sony menu. darn thing is brand new too. I paid for it and can't play it. Not sure if a region free player will convert that. I sure hope so. But how about if it doesn't?

oh, similar when you have something die. I've had a bunch of rotting lately. rebought or planning to rebuy all of it. chunk of change there!

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I'm guessing you have a Sony non4K player (or PS3)?
    Non region free LG, Samsung, OPPO, many Panasonics, PS4, Sony 4K, XBO all should play it fine assuming it's really region free.
    All region free players can handle 50Hz OK

Brent Reid and Radioman970 like this.
  4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I do. And THAT is a relief! thank you!

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer

At least give it a shot with a different brand (or higher level Sony). Worst case you got a bad disc, but all US pre PS4 Sony's choked on 50HZ discs and won't even load to the menu page.

6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    mine is a region a/1 player and stops after that first logo thing. doesn't get to the menu at all on any disc in the set so I'm sure it's not the discs.

I was planning a sony all region with 4k and 3d, atmos and all. those are about $399 now, too much for me. :(

7. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I was suggesting trying one of the other brand players just so you could watch the discs. Actually hoping you might have a 2nd Player (or a PC BDROM or PS4) in the house. I see $20-30 clearance LG BDP at my Walmart pretty regularly.

As an alternative since you were considering a Region Free player anyway is to get a Region Free BDP now and wait for a 4K player around Black Friday possibly. That would probably allow you to go a little higher quality with the 4K Player without having to worry about modding the new more expensive component. Depending on whether you want 3D or not, plain jane Region Free BDP run can be had for as little as $100

Brent Reid and Radioman970 like this.
  8. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    that is an idea. I'll look into that. I'm definitely forever 3D. I have another sony, cheap crap that started buzzing. I use it in the kitchen with my old panny plasma while doing dishes so there's nothing quiet going. that used to bug me. anyway, the discs do that same thing on it. my old panny bu ray player won't load discs anymore. that's all i have.

but I like your idea!

9. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Other than the OPPO 203, modding 4K players still seems to be more difficult and none but the LG seems cheap (not a fan of LG Players). I have yet to read of anyone modding the Panasonic which was the model I was most considering so just staying separate in my plan

10. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    oh! you're talking about making it all region 4K? that's actually not necessary for me. I just want 3D and regular bd and DVD all region. I think I have 1 3D blu ray, The BFG region b, that I need to work. And quite a few Pal discs and a few non region 1 dvds I need to play.

11. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    There's no region-coding on UHD discs. It only affects blu-ray and DVD playback.

Radioman970 likes this.
  12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

4k doesn't have regions so a Region Free 4K machine is just talking about BD/DVD anyway.
    Basically it justs make 1 machine do the work of two. I think it's cheaper and preferable for me to keep them separate anyway

Radioman970 likes this.