Does Pioneer Elite 45A, the 47A, or 47Ai scale?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Stephen Hopkins, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I currently have a RCA 52" Widescreen HDTV and anytime it it receives a progressive or HD signal it locks in full mode. Because of this I'm using a Panasonic RP-91 for the scaling features for older 4:3 and non-anamorphic DVDs.

I've just purchased a Pioneer Elite 43TX receiver and I'm considering getting a DVD player to match. I'm considering the 45A, the 47A, and the 47Ai, but the only way i'll go with any of them is if they have scaling features comparable to the RP-91, at least for 4:3 and non-anamorphic discs.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have a 45A, and it does not scale.

Don't know for sure about the 47's but I suspect not as well.

BGL

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Thanks, that rules out the 45A. Another quick question... what are the fundamental differences in the 47A and the 47Ai other than the addition if i-Link/firewire? And do either still suffer from the chroma bug?

Thanks [​IMG]

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

FWIW, you probably want to judge the CUE with your own eyes. Some sets make it very hard, if not impossible to see.

I am unable to see it on my 53" WS HD ready TV (using progressive out from the player). I could only see it when I temporarily connected the player to my old 32" interlaced Sony.

And there are workarounds for some of the deinterlacing issues with the 45A. It can manually be set to video mode or film mode, or you can leave it in automatic. Since its a flag reader, manual mode selection is essential to getting around some of the problems with poorly authored discs.

BGL