What's new

Does payapl protect transactions to Canada? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
That's odd that they don't verify the address to Canada. I know mines verified so its not like they don't know who is and who isn't verified. At a minimum I'd get a phone number and call them if you're at all worried about the transaction.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
right its a verified user but not address? I've checked his feedback at auidogon and ebay and its all legit, and I hate to discriminate against canadians.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Visa has some verification problems I believe...Mastercards are usually OK. Might explain why he's verified, but why the address is unconfirmed. If you're really unsure, have them send you a money order.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
By the way, I'm sure you know PayPal Buyer Protection only works on eBay, and applies only to US selling to US, or Canada selling to US, to confirmed addresses only.

JarrettJ

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Ontario and had an unpleasant experience when buying a Denon DVD-2200. I paid $400 US to a gentelman(?) in San Diego. I sent the money via Paypal but never received the item.
I filed a complaint with Paypal and won. The joker only had $49 in his account so I got that refund. This was in June, but to my surprise just this month I got another $140 from which Paypal put directly in my account. They still keep fighting for the money until the debt is fully paid. This was a non-ebay transaction and between US and Canada. I don't know whether PayPal has changed its policies but I can say you are covered, at least from my experience. If the person is verified it means their canadian bank account and personal info is confirmed. Having a non verified address should be fine if he doesn't use a PO box. Also use yellowpages.ca and do a name or address search and you will be able to see if all info matches.

Hope this helps.
JJ

PaulT

Supporting Actor
It all depends on what actions the user has taken for Verification. Here's from PayPal FAQ:

Top Questions

What does it mean to be Verified if you live outside the U.S.?

A Verified member of PayPal living outside of the U.S.* has completed enrollment in the Expanded Use Program by

1. Confirming his email address
2. Adding a credit card
3. Entering the Expanded Use number

Payments from Verified members who live outside the U.S. will count towards your Seller Reputation Numbers.

Note: If you choose to ship internationally outside of the Seller Protection Policy, you will be held liable for any chargebacks.

* German members must add a bank account and complete a Manual EFT (electronic funds transfer) or add a credit card and complete the Expanded Use Process to become Verified or become otherwise verified by PayPal.

* Canadian members must add and confirm a bank account and Validate their Account Information to become Verified or become otherwise verified by PayPal.

* UK members must add a bank account, complete Direct Debit and Validate their Account Information to become Verified. Premier and Business Account holders in UK must also Supply Merchant Information for the Verification Process. They can also become otherwise verified by PayPal.

Andy_A

Second Unit
the bottom line is paypal won't cover a seller under the seller protection policy unless he or she ships to a confirmed US address. For this reason I will not ship outside the US with Paypal. The only payment I will accept from outside the US is in the form of a Western Union money order. I wouldn't be as concerned buying something from outside the US.

PaulT

Supporting Actor

Well I don't read that from their FAQ, but whatever floats your boat. I live in Canada and am Confirmed / Verified on PayPal so anyone who sells to me should fall under the protection policy AFAIK.

Andy_A

Second Unit
It looks like they recently changed their policy (which is good) on shipping outside the US and covering sellers under the seller protection policy. Formerly no destination outside the US covered the seller under the SPP, but they now have a list that includes:

Anguilla

Argentina

Australia

Brazil

Canada

Chile

China

Costa Rica

Denmark

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

Finland

Greece

Hong Kong

Iceland

India

Ireland

Israel

Italy

Jamaica

Japan

Luxembourg

Malaysia

Mexico

Monaco

New Zealand

Norway

Portugal

Singapore

South Korea

Spain

Sweden

Taiwan

Thailand

Turkey

Uruguay

Venezuela

Andy_A

Second Unit
Oops, I read it wrong. I was right the first time in saying they don't cover any international shipment by the SPP. The list given is more of a guideline, but not a list of countries that are covered. Funny, their official policy on the matter seems a little ambiguous, but I still read it to mean no SPP exists when shipping internationally (outside US). Here's what it says:

Please note that if you ship internationally outside of the Seller Protection Policy, you do so at your own risk.

PayPal has taken measures to help prevent fraud and chargebacks internationally, including limiting sign up access to a list of PayPal approved countries However, risk still exists and you may be held liable for chargebacks due to fraud. If you make the decision to ship internationally outside of the Seller Protection Policy, we ask that you take several simple measures which will help minimize your exposure to risk:

Ship only to countries on our list of approved countries.
PayPal has limited its services to exclude countries that are known to have excessively high rates of credit card fraud. Verify that your buyer's shipping address is indeed within one of the 45 PayPal approved countries.

Jon Dz

Grip
Hello Everyone
I am the user Kevin is worried about. Up here in the Great White North Paypal will verify us but they will not confirm addresses for whatever reason. I am an extremely honest person like most North Americans and I hope that other users here will not be scared to deal with us Canadians.
Kevin has every right to be concerned but he has nothing to worry about in this purchase. I have supplied him with a perfect Audiogon record of 51 and a plus 270 record at Ebay. He also has my home and work phone numbers.
When dealing with anyone not just Canadians you should take caution. Get any feedback possible, phone numbers and any other info you think you might need. In any purchase or sale I make on the internet I am a little nervous. I do continue to believe though that most people are good natured and honest....I hope others do as well.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
I have to say Jon has been great in providing everything i have asked, i use to be very trustworthy until a verified member from this board came hard on his luck and lied to paypal about not receiving a product 3 months later so he could get his money back. Thanks again Jon and I hope you enjoy the speakers when they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks