1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Optoma H31 really outperform the 4805?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Richard McNally, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Richard McNally

Richard McNally Auditioning

That's what I've been reading. I was almost set on the InFocus 4805 until hearing more and more about this H31, which has higher contrast (3000:1), slightly higher lumens, and it's about $150 cheaper than the 4805. Bulb life is a little shorter, but I that's not a big issue for me. Then there are the 4805 fans that say that because of the Faroudja, 4805 wins hands down. But have they really seen the H31?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

150$ cheaper than the 4805??!! Where have you seen this?? Everyplace I looke the 4805 is the more inexpensive one. If you can get the H31 for 150$ cheaper than get it. With that said, I opted for the 4805 instead because of a good deal that they were selling at around Superbowl time. I have since got money back because it turned out my projector was opened and used for a little bit. Got it for a rediculously good price when all is said and done. Anyway....that really doesn't answer your question [​IMG].
    I really think you are comparing apples to apples with these 2. They use the same darkchip and have the same color wheel segments. The 4805 will be louder and I am sure the deinterlacer on the H31 is not as good as the Faroudja in the 4805. The H30 has had a lot of bulb issues but the bulb in the H31 is different so who knows if that will be a poblem...only time will tell. Out of the box the 4805 I am sure will look better. It pretty much comes fully calibrated. I would not put a lot of stock in the 3000:1 CR of the H31 until we see a true measured number. The measured numbers on the 4805 is pretty much spot on with what they advertise. I think when both are calibrated the PQ will be very similar. Might the H31 be a bit "better" personaly for their sake I hope so. They had more than 6 months to "get it better" than the 4805 and if they didn't than they will not sell nearly as much as they should have.
    If it were my money and I wanted a projector right this second I would get the 4805. It has been out awhile and any kinks it had are worked out. It also has a huge "cult-like" following so there is a TON of on-line support out there. If you don't mind waiting a bit for the H31 to work out any issues it may have than maybe go that route. Whatever you choose you will wind up with a WONDERFUL projector. Not a bad decision to have [​IMG].

3. John-L

John-L Auditioning

I have a very small room (10x10), I'm planning on the H31 or Toshiba MT-200. From what I have found on the net, the H31 and Toshiba are not as loud as the 4805. I think they all are very comparable, I think its all personal choice.

4. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

You can't go by a spec listing. Optoma and Infocus also handle colors differently. Higher contrast by itself doesn't make for a better picture. The faroudja chip in the 4805 becomes a factor if your dvd player is interlaced only like mine is, or if your pro scan player doesn't feature very good de-interlacing.

The big problem with any asseessment of various projectors is that you really have to live with them for a while before pronouncing judgement. Either way, you're getting some impressive technology for the money. My biggest complaint concerning my 4805 is noise level or rather the quality of that noise. I have a oscillating whine that crops up repeatedly. Could be wheel whine which could show up on an optoma as well since it's also dlp and uses a color wheel.

I'll vouch for the calibration of the 4805. Very good out of the box. Black and white films look very good, I didn't notice any push in the colors when viewing my black and white films.

Stories about premature bulb blowout on the H30 scared me off the unit. I simply can't afford that kind of expense. I went with infocus in part due to bulb life. Also infocus is conservative with their specs, and they list specs which are calibrated to 6500k.

Speaking of the faroudja chip, I just read a home theater mag review of yamaha's new dlp unit, forget the model number, listing for $12995 msrp and they talked about what a good job the de-interlacing chip did. Well, it's the same chip set as in the $1299 msrp 4805. That also played a part in my decision as I'm using my old sony 7000 dvd player which is only outputs an interlaced signal. The chip does what it's advertised to do and then some. Still amazed by the lack of jaggies and other aritifacts.