Does Onkyo have better subtle bass than Denon? (question + need for help)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon2801 and Definitive ProCinema100. While it's a great system when I watch action movies, I have a complain with quieter movies. Because ProSub100TL is not sensitive enough or Denon is not sending strong enough LFE signal to the subwoofer, the auto-on doesn't always work. And, then I read the manual and have front left & right channel go through the sub and the auto-on works now.
    However, I think I'm still missing some subtle bass from center channel (people's low tone voice in dialog scene without not much ambient noise nor music) because I cannot pass center channel through the sub like what I did to front left&right. I tried to increase bass and LFE output of Denon, but I don't want the whole bass to increase because I've got enough bass in loud scenes.
    So, the question is if I switch to Onkyo receiver such as 787, would it give more bass? I don't think 2801 is handling subtle bass too well. How about 3801? Does it do much better job doing subtle bass than 2801?

2. Joseph Kim

Joseph Kim Agent

Yoon, why don't you just leave the sub on.
    joe

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

No Denon doesn't miss a beat here.It's obvious that your sub's turn on circuitry is at fault.
    Either try to leave it on all the time, or if that's not possible,then turn the gain[volume]controll on the sub,as high as possible and back down on the sub line out on the receiver untill you reach,the calibrated level you hopefully have now.
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

4. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

how do I leave the sub on?

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Here is a quote I found on Audioreview.com regarding Denon 1801 and 3300.
    "My one significant complaint is with the coaxial input, and this complaint applies to the AVR-3300 as well. When using coaxial, I detect a slight veil over the performance, with a softening of the soundstage and deminished definition in the bass. This is not the case when using the optical inputs, so that's an easy solution."
    Tried it and it seems to work for me. MY PS1000 seems to have come alive.
    Kevin
    [Edited last by Kevin. W on July 30, 2001 at 08:46 AM]

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer