What's new

Does Netflix Really Support Atmos With Windows 10 App (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
To avoid further derailing of the "Looking for a Reliable Inexpensive Blu Ray Player" thread I figured I would branch off here.

I've been trying [without much success] to get Atmos content to play via my Windows 10 HTPC for awhile now. I have the latest build and everything in my playback chain is Atmos capable. I also have the required top tier Netflix plan and playback quality set to "High." Atmos content plays just fine from any HTPC source [JRiver, Kodi, etc] other than Netflix.

I recently spent a good 45 minutes online with them trying to get to the bottom of it. The technician was very nice but it was clear she had no idea how to assist me and continually placed me on hold while she conferred with their "Research Team." Their final answer was that I needed to purchase the Dolby Access app with Atmos for Headphones option. This is clearly false as the Dolby Access app offers Atmos for Home Theater free and Atmos content from it's included demos play fine.

It is worth noting that the output from Atmos enabled Netflix titles do appear to my AVR as Atmos to some extent [Dolby Digital +/Plus Surround] but Netflix never offers any sound mix higher than standard 5.1 and the output still appears to be channel-based. A little research on Dolby's site indicates that Atmos can be delivered via Dolby Digital Plus, something I wasn't previously aware of. With Netflix claiming only "lossy" Atmos support, I suspect this is what they're doing but I don't think it should be marketed as full Atmos support.

If you've made it this far I commend you and you're likely as confused as I am. For the moment, I've downgraded my plan. Once that takes effect [later in Sept] I'll check to see if the output signal changes or if I still see Atmos logos on supported content.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I definitely want to check into this. But I’m not sure if I’ll have time this weekend to fool around with the media PC. Will report back when I’ve run tests. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I get Atmos but I have to hdmi my laptop to the denon and use the Windows App version of Netflix.

Hey TonyD!

Interesting and encouraging! A few questions.
  1. As Denon and Marantz share similar DNA, do you see channel indicators in the input section of the onscreen display or does it show as true Atmos with no channels indicators.
  2. Do you see Dolby Atmos offered as an actual audio track from supported Netflix titles such as Bright?
  3. Have you purchased the Dolby Atmos for Headphones add on?

When you have a moment, a couple of screenshots would be greatly appreciated.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sorry I can’t help with any of that this month as NF and I are in a break.

I can tell you that when you load up the app and search Atmos you will get a handful of shows and movies that have the Atmos logo next to the title of the show.

I suggest that if you have access to NF app on a windows 10 device to just load it up and check for yourself.

Oh I never use headphones so no on that one.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
To add, Atmos from NF is only available from the windows 10 NF app from the W10 App Store.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t have the UHD plan, so I can’t test Netflix Atmos on my HTPC.

Netflix supports streaming with Dolby Atmos audio on select titles.

What do I need to stream with Dolby Atmos audio?

• A Dolby Atmos-capable audio system.

• A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you’re currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan

• A Netflix-capable device with Dolby Atmos support

• Streaming quality set to High or Auto. More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don’t have the UHD plan, so I can’t test Netflix Atmos on my HTPC.

No need at this point. It's now clear to me that Netflix's Atmos support is the compressed [lossy] Dolby Digital + variety. I didn't even know Atmos came in lossy versions until researching this. Since Apple TV now supports Atmos in a True HD 7.1 bed, maybe Netflix will get their act together soon. I personally feel they should at least come clean and provide details regarding the Atmos formats they currently offer.

Last edited:

IngridAlwaysHAPPY

Auditioning
Real Name
Ingrid Chenoweth
I get Atmos but I have to hdmi my laptop to the denon and use the Windows App version of Netflix.

THANKS, I igned up here just to thank you.

I am not sure why chrome or IE will not pull it properly but Netflix shows the ATMOS logo on both of them for me.

I installed the "Windows' App version of Netflix and it worked the first time I brought up and played "Bright" with Will Smith.

illbizzy

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hopefully this helps, I was finally able to get Dolby Atmos out of Netflix.

I believe for most, the missing step is selecting the right audio channel from the Netflix application. When playing a movie there's a little dialog icon that'll appear when you hover over the movie. Click it, then find the Atmos capable "Audio" stream. For "Bright", the Atmos version ended up being the steam labeled "English [Original] (5.1)". I have yet to try any other movies. My receiver indicates this to be a "Dolby Atmos/DD+" input stream at 48 kHz.

And here's everything I did to success:

My setup: Windows 10 PC with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080. HDMI out to an Onkyo SR393. I'm in a 2.1 channel setup.

1. I went through all the typical setup steps like downloading and setting up Dolby Access. I do not have the headphone option.
2. I downloaded the Netflix Windows 10 application (not the browser based version).
3. I have an Ultra HD subscription.
4. I streamed the movie "Bright", changing the audio stream to "English [Original] (5.1)".
5. My receiver now indicates the incoming stream as "Dolby Atmos/DD+".

P.S. - Just discovered one more catch. It looks like if you try any download the movie, the Atmos enabled audio stream will not be available. I tested this with S1:E1 of Marvel's The Punisher. With the movie downloaded, the audio streams were limited and did not include an Atmos ready option. If I deleted the download and streamed the title, the Atmos version was available.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks