What's new

Does Nakamichi make good receivers? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I've never really heard anyone say anything about Nakamichi here at HTF, yet they seem to get good reviews elsewhere. So what's the deal with them?
The reason I'm interested in opinions about Nakamichi is that I've been looking for a 2 channel receiver and I found a what seems to be good deal on one over at ubid. Here is the address:
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=6854972
Any thoughts?
TIA

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jeffrey,

I think the title of your post should have been Did Nakamichi make good receivers? as it has been reported that they have filed for bankruptcy or are just plain out of the business. I don't have a link to any report that mentions this, so hopefully someone else can provide it.

I was really interested in Nakamichi's AV-10 HT receiver, and while it sounded great in 2 channel and with movies, it was limited in that it did not have any 5.1 analog inputs. At the time, it was the only HT receiver I knew of in the $1000-$1200 range that didn't.

Michael

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Well that sucks! But it doesn't make too much of a difference since it's on ubid. I doubt the warranty would be even covered!

But do you think this would make a good receiver to use with two 6 ohm Aura bookshelves, which sound pretty damn good to me? This will be used for my computer only.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
In my experience with Nakamichi, they make very nice sounding equipment. Their reliability is iffy. Either the piece will last forever or it will be going to the shop every 6 mos.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I will stand and fight for Nakamichi.:)
I ran the Nakamichi AV-10 in my HT for more than two years with nary a problem. In fact, I just replaced the Nak with Rotel separates, and my son wants to buy it from me for his setup. The only criticism I have is that audio thins out when the volume is really pushed. But for most systems, stereo, DD or DTS, this unit is more than enough.
The Naks are very musical, and their power ratings seem much more honest than others. I have not heard anything about Nakamichi filing for bankruptcy. Can someone offer a link to a news story?

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
That's too bad to hear. I have a Nakamichi Receiver 3 that I bought in 1990 and it is the main source of my music only system. It sounds great still. From my experience, they made a great product.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
This is bad news but I saw it coming a mile away. I have the AV8 receiver and I love it,but Nakamichi has had the same line-up for many years. This is what led me to beleive that they were going under. They just weren't even trying to keep up with everyone else as far as coming out with new products with new features. That said, I will be keeping my AV8 for another couple of years since it is serving me quite well and I have other things that I "NEED" to buy(HD-RPTV, SVS etc... :D )
Answer to original question, if it goes up to $899USD, then there are many better deals out there that will give a great 2 channel sound. If the bid stays low, I say go for it. THe Nakamichi has a pretty good 2 channel sound(at least I like it).

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Almost 7 years ago I had the opportunity to try several receivers in my home. The one that made the greatest impression on me was the Nakamichi AV-1. The Nak had the most natural sound, and I loved the remote control of bass, Super bass, treble, and L-R balance. CDs are mixed very differently and getting the right tonal balance from the listening position was a delight. Because it has pre-outs and main-ins for LCR and surround, I can do DD and DTS with a Technics decoder. Also was recently able to go 6.1 with the addition of another DPL receiver that I had. The Nak is very well built. Someone at Nakamichi had a golden ear.

DevonB

Auditioning
I bought a Nakamichi AV-7 several years ago to use in my office and my employes and I are very happy with the quality. I purchased it new on U-bid and for the price I just couldn't pass it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks