Does my RP-56 have a Wart?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dre J, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    Here is where I'm seeing problems:
    Wart 1.....
    Unlike VE's Zone Plate, AVIA's High bit-rate Zone Plate pattern Is showing a Wart on the RP-56. This wart is some kind of visual Blocks inside the small rectangles on the Zone plate. It changes with direction of the Zone Plate movement. You will see what I mean when you look at the pattern on your own set.
    Wart 2.....
    On the same AVIA high bit-rate Zone Plate, The resolution Wedge on the far right has a white streak in the upper portion starting at around 525 and continuing up the wedge. If the image is paused it is not seen.
    Please check your RP-56 to see if this is a problem with my unit.
    Dre
    Mode was progressive, AUTO

2. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

I've run the Video Essentials montage of images and have some more examples to give.
    During Track 19 Chapter 1 at 1:43-1:50 the left biceps of the statue has water flowing in front of it and the Sage chip is adding what looks like a screen effect of small vertical lines that isn't the water drops.
    During Track 19 Chapter 1 at 5:10-5:16, the Sage chip is producing small rectangular blocks over the blue bleachers.
    The high bit rate test in AVIA, described in my above post, really shows this problem well. The Bleachers is the next worst. The fountain is the least offensive but it's still adding artifacts that are not in the material.
    I need someone to check this problem so I can identify this as a problem with my specific unit or the RP-56, or all Sage chips.
    Thanks
    Dre
    [Edited last by Dre J on September 23, 2001 at 07:46 PM]

3. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

Dre, which display device are you using?

4. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer Elite PRO-710HD.
    Since you asked about the display device I'll provide some more food for thought.
    This doesn't occur in interlaced mode on the RP-56. I also have a JVC XV-D723GD. In interlaced or progressive mode (Smart or film) I don't get these problems either. My Toshiba SD-6200 (lower resolution that the RP-56 and 723) doesn't do this either. Because of this I ruled out the monitor.
    The unit has been calibrated for each DVD player in both interlaced and progressive. (Grayscale, color, tint, contrast, brightness)
    Dre

5. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

I had seen somthing similar with DLP, but not with CRT.
    Any chance you can grab a screen shot?

6. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

[Edited last by Dre J on September 24, 2001 at 02:52 PM]

7. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

[Edited last by Dre J on September 24, 2001 at 02:52 PM]

8. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

[Edited last by Dre J on September 24, 2001 at 02:51 PM]

9. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

The problem with me trying to get a screen shot is that the anomalies are real-time motion dependent. If I pause the image, everything is fine. Does this sound like a DCDi problem? Any suggestions?
    Dre