What's new

Does my Home Theatre Salesman know what he is talking about?? (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There is a couple of issues here,some been mentioned already.
Not all receivers use it's BM in 2ch[stereo] mode,in that case the salesman's way is right.
By design "fault" some receivers don't "fold" all of the LFE info[output] into the mains,when selected "no" for sub "large" for mains.I have tested this on 2 older models [Denon 3600 and Sony 777ES],both were about 4db shy compare to the LFE and main separate.we used RTA with a PC and soundcard].Maybe newer models do better?
When selected small on all other channels but the mains,and no sub,then all bass below xover point will go to the mains.
Also I wouldn't hook up a sub that douesn't have any highpass crossover built in for the speaker level outputs.Most don't have this feature,and the ones that have usually a high fixed point [100hz],with a shallow 1st order slope filter 6db/octave,which is unsuitable for many speakers,that was suppose to be used in this configuration.
Most subs only use lowpass crossovers,many are continiously variable,but the idea of BM is bass redirection to speakers that can handle bass best,running mains unfiltered and trying to blend a sub with the lowpass filter alone is a half ass job IMO.
To sum it up,if your receiver use it's built in BM in all listening modes, then the Sub line level out is the best way to hook up the sub.

Robert Sun

Agent
HEre is a quote from the RTS 1000 manual:

"HIgh Level Input and OUtput Terminals allow you to connect your subwoofer to the speaker outputs of your AV reciever. The signal from the High Level output terminals passes through a built in HIgh Pass Filter. When these terminals are connected to your mains/satellite speakers, the result is increased dynamic range and power handling, which improves overall system performance"

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
When these terminals are connected to your mains/satellite speakers, the result is increased dynamic range and power handling, which improves overall system performance"
Did they specify the crossover point,and the slope?
what kind of main speakers you have?

Robert Sun

Agent
Hi Lewis,

My receiver has a xover point of 100 Hz. THis is fixed so I can't change it. The subwoofer has a variable low level filter which I assume I should set to 100 Hz since anything under that is being sent to the LFE channel by my receiver?

My main speakers are Floorstaning Energy E:xl26.

I'm not sure what the term "slope" means exactly but in the subwoofer specifications it says the low level filter is from 50-100Hz @18db per octave???

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
It WOULD SEEM THAT YOUR MAINS and sub may integrate better at a lower x-iover pointso running your mains fullrange with all the lfe info and blending the sub (using it's adjustable x-over) into the energy's natural roll-off point may give you "better blending" .....

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I don't know if your Energy mains are towers or not (not familiar with the model), but if they are, you may wish to listen to music in the Marantz's "Source Direct" mode, which automatically sets your mains to Large and routes all bass to them (no bass to the sub). When you switch off Source Direct, your original bass management settings are restored (in my case, all speakers set to Small and Sub=Yes).

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
Much of how you set up your system will have to do with the range of your front mains. If they are good full range speakers, say 45hz - 18khz, I'd set them to LARGE and the sub to YES. Dial the sub crossover down to about 50 - 60hz. This will avoid using the sub for anything but the non-directional low freq. sounds.

If your mains are not that robust, your sub will have to carry frequencies in the audible Directional range. This is fine except that sounds that may be intended for the L/R soundstage will be forced to come from the sub over in "that" corner.

Marc H

Second Unit
Robert,
The advice from your salesman works well on the Energy Encore system and the Take 5.2 but your's should be fine the conventional way.
With the Take 5 and Encore, there's high pass filters in the speakers near the crossover point of the receiver's bass management which can lead to phase distortions and signal loss. By connecting the sub via the high level inputs and setting the mains to large provides a more seamless transition from sub to satellite by minimizing the filtering.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
@18db per octave???
That figure refers of the slope[3rd order]
It means that below ar above a crossover point,how much the level drops by the next octave.
I. E. If it is a lowpass crossover and it set to 80hz,the level will be down by 18db at 160hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks