What's new

Does Mitsubishi 55311 Stretch Mode Suck? (1 Viewer)

Alan Bansen

Auditioning
I've listed below RPTV models I'm considering with comments/concerns under each.

Primary use will be DirectTV regular programming (movies, sports, TV series) and DVD movies. Would purchase my own HDTV converter. Care most about best picture quality and simplicity of operation.

Would very much appreciate any and all thoughts and recommendations of those listed.

MITSUBISHI WS55311
Only concern here is stretch mode. Knowledgeable friend says his sister has a Mits and very poor stretch is a big problem. Hers is probably older than 55311 Has this been corrected?

SONY KP57WS500
Flicker problems seem to have been corrected in sets manufactured after Jan, 2003. Do I need to go to WV?

TOSHIBA 57HDX82
Have read good things, with few negatives.

And if I missed something else in the $2-2500 range, please feel free to mention.

Thanks a lot.

Alan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the 55411 which has the same stretch modes as the 311. I got used to the stretch within the first couple of days and I don't even notice it now. For most programming I use Stretch which has very little stretch in the center of the picture and more as you get towards the edges of the screen. For sports I use Standard. This gives an even stretch across the whole screen. For letterbox (like The West Wing), I use Expand to get rid of the black bars. The manual recommends Zoom but I tried it once and didn't like it. I watch all HD and anamorphic DVD in Standard and non-anamorphic depends on 4x3 or letterbox.

-Robert

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have a Mits. WT-46807 and the Stretch mode makes me nauseous when there are camera pans. If you have any kind of motion sickness, avoid this mode.

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
I too dislike the stretch mode. I would rather watch a picture with black bars on it. Incidentally, the TV guy said that watching films with black bars at sides or top and bottom caused burn in?!?!?! Lack of signal causes burn in? A white or colored bar I could understand but black?

Alan Bansen

Auditioning
Thanks all. Very helpful...Would you say that the problems to which you refer are inherent in all stretch modes or do you think just for the Mits?

Thanks

Alan

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Standard mode is the way to go. Like said before you wont notice it after 2-3 days. The least of your concerns should be the streach modes but picture quality instead. After my unexperienced tweaking my 55511 looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks