Does MGM own Witchboard?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Todd Stout, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I just bought a VCD copy of the movie Witchboard which is an old guilty pleasure of mine. The VCD is letterboxed and looks better than my VHS copy but the subtitles are a little distracting.

Anyway, the packaging reads, "Orion Home Video" on it as well as, "Package design © 2001 MGM Home Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved." Does MGM own the rights to this title here in the US? If so, I'd really love to see a DVD release of this with a new 16x9 widescreen transfer (as well as the open matte version for maximum Tawny Kitaen [​IMG] ). MGM has really been impressing me lately with some pretty decent releases of some obscure titles.

2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

If they did, they don't anymore.

Anchor Bay Entertainment is currently working on releasing this on DVD this October. [​IMG]

** Anchor Bay's Michael Felsher gave Fango the scoop on how a few much-awaited DVD projects are doing, as well as a new announcement. "We will be releasing new special editions of the original WITCHBOARD and NIGHT OF THE DEMONS," Felsher tells Fango. "There will be many extras, and [director] Kevin Tenney will be involved, as well as the producers. They'll both be out before Halloween."

www.gorezone.net ***

3. JonSpice

JonSpice Stunt Coordinator

It's about time geeze she was co-anchor on "That's Incredible" so many years ago. I liked Zarabeth and her TTFN Ta Ta For Now saying BTW it came out in 1985.

Directed by
    Kevin Tenney

Cast
    Todd Allen .... Jim Morar
    Clare Bristol .... Anchorwoman
    Burke Byrnes .... Lt. Dewhurst
    Gloria Hayes .... Wanda
    Tawny Kitaen .... Linda Brewster
    J.P. Luebsen .... Malfeitor
    Rose Marie .... Mrs. Moses
    Stephen Nichols .... Brandon Sinclair
    Susan Nickerson
    James W. Quinn .... Lloyd
    Kenny Rhodes .... Mike
    Judy Tatum .... Dr. Gelineau
    Kathleen Wilhoite .... Zarabeth

4. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Not that it matters here, but MGM could own the title outside America though. Part of buying Orion and Polygram's libraries was getting a ton of overseas rights to certain movies. That's why they have the Asian rights to ARMY OF DARKNESS (and released what is regarded as the best DVD of the director's cut)

5. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Anchor Bay is releasing a special edition DVD of this in October?!!! WOO HOO!!! That is fantastic news! The fact that it will be a special edition is quite a pleasant surprise.

6. JonSpice

JonSpice Stunt Coordinator

It's a bit like "Carrie", but unlike "Carrie" Malfador(Portugese) is into something else entirely.[​IMG]

7. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

WHAT? How could I have missed this. THis is one of my all time favorites. I still remember the first time I rented... back then spent a lot of time at my video store renting almost any horror flick they had hoping to find a good one among the less known titles. Anyone know what I mean.

Always renting 2 or 3 at a time hoping at least one would not be total crap.

Can't wait to see this again!

8. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Ok, so we know that Anchor Bay owns part 1 of Witchboard & NOTD. But do we know if they own part 2 of both movies as well?

9. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Tawny Kitaen [​IMG] (OK, well at least in 1985 and the Whitesnake era [​IMG])

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

As far as I know, there's no word on the sequels. I'd love to see Witchboard 2, cause it was really corny, and I like Ami Dolenz.

I'd love Night of the Demons 2 cause that's a really fun sequel.

11. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Not to get too technical, but it it seems you may want a technical answer.

Anchor Bay is a home vid distributor. GENERALLY what they do is LICENSE the home video rights to a title (or library of titles)for a period of years, in a particular territory from the copyright owner, and then they distribute the title either in sell-thru or rental, or other consumer direct methods.

Thus, MGM would still "own" the film and its sequels through their wholly owned subsidiary Orion, and could exploit them theatrically, through television and video on demand type formats, and might even be able to do OTHER home video deals, depending on the exclusivity of the Anchor Bay Agreement. What the specifics of the deal with Anchor Bay are, are anybodies guess, and would not be available outside the companies.