Does Maya PLE work with XP home?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeff Jacobson, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I was thinking about ordering Maya Personal Learning Edition, but I'm not sure if it will run on Windows XP Home Edition.

According to their FAQ page,

I was wondering if anyone had tried using this program on Windows XP Home Edition and could tell me if it worked or not.

If anyone would like to try it out, the program can be downloaded for free from this page. I only have a dial-up internet connection, so this is not an option for me. I don't want to pay $30 to order a CD of a program that I'm not sure will even run on my computer.

2. Bob_Bo

Bob_Bo Agent

Hmmm weird that they would exclude the Home edition in the system requirements.

It does work fine in winxp-pro. I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work in the home edition as well.

3. luke_ha

luke_ha Stunt Coordinator

yeah i dont see any problems since the only reason that you couldn't use it in 98 was the filing system.

4. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

it should work xp home and xp pro are not all that much different, xp home has alot less features, the operating system in general is the same thou. just make sure that you can return it if it doesnt happen to work, that would be a pain to not be able to get your dough back. [​IMG]

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Someone with Cable internet downloaded it for me. The program seems to work, but I haven't spent much time using it yet.

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yes it will work xp home and xp pro are the same OS, pro just offers alot of stuff that normal homeuser type of folks will rarely need, unless yer a techie.

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

XP Home cannot take part in a Windows NT/2k/2k3 server domain. Domain logon is not an option. That's about the only major difference between XP Home and XP Pro where you could find yourself stuck with XP Home when you must have XP Pro instead.

Something to keep in mind when an office PC dies and you try to get a replacement ASAP from Best Buy or wherever.