Does "lense size" matter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_AH, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

I'm really in the dark on this one: A CC salesman tried to convince me yesterday that Hitachi RPTVs are better than Toshiba's because "the lenses on each of the guns are bigger and the Hitachi's have more lenses in each gun." Do different companies have different lens sizes in their RPTVs? How many lenses are in a gun? Thanks for any info!

Scott

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The diameter of cathode ray tubes in most RPTVs is seven inches; some are nine inches, and, inherently, they are capable of resolving more detail.

"More lenses" in each gun? Pardon me?

3. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Hitachi did, on last year's models, claim a "six-element lens system," which according to them helped with focus along the edges and in the corners of the image. This year they are doing 5-element lenses like everybody else, which should tell you somethign about the CC guy as well as something about the value of the extra lens.

Very few TVs use 9-inch guns. The only ones I know of are the two 73" Mitsubishis, but there may be others. Some smaller screen sizes and tabletop models use 5" or even 4" CRTs. The 7" are by far the most common, though.