Does LA times article have anyone else worried?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harold A, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

Dec 16, 2000
    This topic was posted at AVS forum but I would like to get some more opions. Here is a link to the article
    I was about to go out and but an HDTV RPTV but this article plus some other talks has me just scared enough that I am considering wating. Am I being crazy or is this a legitamate conern. I would hate to go out and spend $2000 and have it be a waste.
  2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Feb 9, 1999
    "...and Mitsubishi plans to release an HDTV receiver insert for its "HDTV-upgradable" sets next year."
    This is a key statement hidden at the bottom of the article. Mitsubishi promises that their current line of HD sets WILL be upgradeable. The above statement makes a small mention of that. This type of "upgrade" will be available to all current HD TV owners as I have been made to understand by other articles. Of course, I have no idea what that "upgrade" will cost. [​IMG]
    Anyway, if you want HD and don't have to stretch your budget to the limits to get it, then I say go for it.
    C. Ryan
  3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Oct 31, 1997
    Not really. I spent less than $2000 for my HD-ready set (to maximize DVD viewing) and plan to get at least 5 years of use out of it. I don't watch much regular TV so OTA HD incompatibility doesn't worry me.
    In 5+ years I'll hopefully be in a condo or house (not an apt.) and this set can go in the bedroom (with a DVD player) and the living room will get the new (and hopefully fully compatible) HD set.
    Time will tell...
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them):