1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Kino understand stereo sound?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by John Morgan, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #81 of 88 Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    rdimucci

rdimucci Stunt Coordinator

Robert DiMucci

Someone wrote in the IMDB that "ABC Pictures wrote off a total in excess of $1 million after the film's box office failure." Source: Unknown
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066393/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_trv_1
    The website Ultimate Movie Rankings reports that the film earned $13.5 million at the box office, making it the 28th most popular film of 1970. Source: Unknown
    https://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/1970-movies
    Wikipedia states that the film took in $7.9 million at the box office against a budget of $3.625 million. Source: Variety
    But Wikipedia also says that "It earned rentals of $4.4 million in North America and $3.5 million in other countries, recording an overall loss of $1,075,000." Source: Also Variety.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Norway_(film)
    You can take all that for what it's worth.

2. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    TARAS BULBA was recently on the MGM movie HD channel. And yes, it was true stereo. My cable company doesn't seem to present any films in 5.1 sound, but using the Dolby encoder it sounded excellent and certainly filled the room. So, I now believe they had the stereo tracks all along and they simply didn't get onto the HD Blue Ray master for reasons I don't know, but I know now that the stereo tracks has been attached to a HD master.
    Do you think Kino could be persuaded to upgrade to a stereo release? The stereo and Waxman's score certainly (in my opinion) is 50% of the film's pluses.
    Right now, with rumors of the upcoming KOCH release being in stereo, that may be our only hope. If so, it would be great if the blu ray would be region friendly to the USA, but would certainly sway me to take the plunge to an all region player if not. I think the street date is July 25, so I will be hunting down reviews if and when they appear.

Brent Reid likes this.
  3. OliverK

OliverK Producer

This sounds promising ;)
    Can you give examples of directional sound in specific scenes, perhaps even of directional dialogue?

4. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yup, fingers crossed for the Koch, but I won't be buying until stereo is confirmed. Taras Bulba was on TCM (UK) a couple of years ago in HD, but the sound was mono, & a very tinny mono at that.

5. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    COMCAST dropped MGM HD months ago.:(

6. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    What I did is switch the 2 track stereo to ProLogic or matrixed sound. A double track mono film will come mostly from the center speaker. I can't pinpoint any scenes at the moment, but during a narrator speaking, he came out of only the center speaker and other sounds and music were heard plainly in the right and left speakers. Since I believe the film was only in stereo for the 70mm European release. I don't think there were any 4 track 35mm prints made for USA with 4 track mag stripped.
    When they folded all the tracks into the 2 tracks, I don't think they did it as it should have been. There is a lot surround for the music and sound effects, but it's mainly an overall effect rather I.D-ing specific placement. But boy, it adds a great dimension to the film. I think it is better than the old DVD. It really should have been 5.1 sound.

ALERT: MGMHD channel is running it again this Saturday tomorrow, at 11:55 pm (just before midnight. (July 20th). I am with Spectrum cable system and in California. I don't if MGMHD has different feeds for west and east coast, so it may be different times with whatever delivery system you use.

7. Message #87 of 88 Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Short answer to "Does Kino understand stereo sound" is, they don't have an effing clue! My latest batch of titles from the last sale included a DVD of Neil Simon's Broadway Bound. Normally I don't purchase DVDs anymore, but as this was a TV movie I made an exception. The 1992 TV film was recorded and broadcast in stereo, as was the laserdisc I owned. For titles like this that have been stereo from day one, there is no reason for a mono master to even exist. This happens so often with Kino, with titles that are stereo everywhere in the world except for the Kino releases, I'm beginning to suspect that it is directly the fault of Kino's authoring process. I wonder if someone is assuming these movies are mono, and ticking off a box labelled "mono" in the encoder, resulting in the encoder downmixing to mono. It is frustrating to say the least!

Vincent_P likes this.
  8. OliverK

OliverK Producer

A belated thanks, for some reason I missed your answer back then. It looks like the new Blu-ray from Germany is also in stereo so that's at least one we can cross off the only in mono list.