What's new

Does Kenwood VR-309 do video switching? (1 Viewer)

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Kenwood VR-309 Receiver and I'm trying to do something I haven't tried before. Previously I've connected the audio from my VCR to my receiver and plugged the video into my TV. I'd now like to plug the video into my receiver and and have the reciver "switch" it to S-Video output to play on a projector? The manual "seems" to indicate I can do that but no luck. I have the S-Video output connected to my projector and I've tried connecting the VCR video to all three of the video inputs. Can I do what I'm trying to do?

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Are you connecting an S-video from the VCR to the amp or composite? It will "only" work if you use S-video. The newer line of Kenwood gear as Universal video with upconverts composite to S-video but not the VR-309.

Hope this help!

E

David James

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Erik for the quick response.

My VCR doesn't have S-Video. I'm connecting the VCR's composite output to the receiver. Rats, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. My problem is getting the video from the VCR to a projector. The only wires I've run through the walls and ceiling are S-Video and component. I was hoping to avoid running more wires. Do you know of any cheap VCR's with S-Video outputs?

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
David, I have run into the same problem with my older Kenwood. Here's a $10.00 fix for you, go to Radio Shack. They have an RCA video to S-Video plug which works fine for my digital cable signal. Notice though, my friend tried the same thing, and he ended up with more ghosting than he knew what to do with. Remember, Rat Shack will take the part back if it doesn't work for you. I'm not too certain why some get ghosting and others don't, might be because I made the cable guy run all new wire from the line into my house when we upgraded from standard cable, but I don't know for certain. Regardless, it might work, and a ten dollar bill is a better deal than $150.00 for a VCR that really should be replaced with TiVo (it's on my Christmas list) anyways.

David James

Stunt Coordinator
Yup Radio Shack wanted $20. I found one at a local electronics store for $7. I'm back in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks