Does it really matter where Mike Tyson will fight Lennox Lewis?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

After today's ruling it's not going to be Nevada, but since the bulk of the money comes from pay-per-view, I wouldn't be surprised to see him fight in another country.

2. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

All they have to do is go to another country and fight.

And maybe even save on paying the 20 million tax.

3. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    I don't think Tyson will ever fight Lewis. He's afraid.

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Screw the Nevada government, they can come to my house and have the fight in my backyard. [​IMG]

5. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Do people still really want to pay good money to see Mike Tyson fight? Or is it morbid curiosity to see just what outrageous, inhuman act he might do next? As Mark Kreidler of the Sacramento Bee put it, he's a "raving lunatic." (I don't think those words are too strong in his case.) Twice, he's bitten the opposing boxer, once in the ring; he's a convicted rapist (possibly going for two now); he once vowed to the opposing boxer to "eat your children"....yeesh. Again, echoing what Mr. Kreidler has said on the topic, the very idea of "preserving the integrity of boxing" by denying Tyson a Nevada fight is ludicrous -- just including "I've-got-the-dispute-management-skills-of-a-Rottweiler" Tyson's name in any discussion eliminates the possibility of "integrity" entering into it at all.
    Just my 0.02.

6. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Again, I'm a big boxing fan....and I have to agree with Mark on this one. Tyson would be better suited for the WWF. He wouldn't have to worry about acting, as that doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for wrastlin'.

Jon

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Iron Mike + the WWF sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. While acting skills aren't a prerequisite for wresteling it does require someone with just a bit of sanity. Anyone who picked up a mic and started talking shit about Mike would literally be be playing Russian Roulette. If Mike gets pissed off then someone might die out there........

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I want to see the fight. Course, this means I'll have leach off somebody else's pay-per-view bill.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

With his persona, Tyson should fight in one place and one place only -- the street. He's a thug, plain and simple. He doesn't deserve the big payday that a fight with Lewis would offer.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Didn't Tyson bite some guy in the thigh in that melee in New York?

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

It doesnt matter where they fight.If Lewis trains seriously, he should beat Tyson.

12. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I never felt Tyson was a great boxer.

He is one of the strongest ever(actualy I think that honor probally goes to Lewis), but intimidation and brute force will lose everytime to a excellent,skilled,talented boxer who can keep his cool in a rough situation.

Douglas,Ruddock(who refused to let Tyson intimidate him)and Holyfield are examples. If they fought 20 times-Holyfield would have probally beat Tyson 2 out of every 3 fights(at least).

Fear is what did in most of Tysons opponents before they even got into the ring.

I agree that I dont really understand the attraction to Tyson.I guess its the same as when people want to look at a car wreck. The guy has been in maybe 4 good fight in his entire career.But out of the ring silliness is one thing(Ali was THE MASTER at this)and nothing new(Look at the recent Vargas/DeLaHoya press conference)But this guys conduct in the ring is disgraceful-ear biting, arm twisting,throwing elbows,not listening to the ref loosing composure and wrecking havok.

Its old already.Its hard to feel sorry for someone whos made tens of millions of dollars in his life and has had every opportunity in life that you ,I and average Joe will never know-hes his own worst enemy and wont get any sympathy from me-no matter what the current crisis in his life is(he seems to have alot of them)

What we're probally looking at here is a repeat of the Lewis/Tua fight.

Ashley ,

Your absolutely correct. When I talk to some of the older guys at work about boxing I constantly hear "I dont watch boxing anymore" Its years of Tyson 58 second fights,Don King screwjob Nevada decisions and its too bad because theyres some really amazing talent out there: DeLa Hoya,Tapia,Hopkins,Bererra,Mosley,Quartey,Mayweaht er,Roy Jones(One of the most talented Boxers Ive ever seen and REALLY needs to meet some competition),Erik Morales,Castillejo,Vernon Forrest,Kastya Tszyu,Judah,Gatti(who will always give u 1000% and yor moneys worth) and Trinidad(who I never really cared for , but forces u to respect him and makes u want to watch him becuase of wat he does in the ring)

BTW, Ali may not have been booksmart but he was no dummy.

14. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

I dont buy into too much of the pregame crap that goes on before boxing fights now a days. I think alot of it is setup and showmanship. But the way Tyson treated the press was inexcusable. Now he is nothing but a street thug.

As far as the Tyson legacy, up until the Spinks/Tyson fight I believe Tyson was one of the best fighters with the exception of Ali. Yes I believe that Ali could have figured out a way to beat him but it would have been a war. I remember watching Tyson in his early fights. I have never seen such raw speed and power. But the way I thought he was differant was the way he handled the clinch. When he got wrapped up he went beserk, shaking and twisting and pushing his way out of it. The traditional way to beat a short fighter is to keep him at the end of your fist and when he gets close clinch, much in the way Holyfield beat him. But when you clinch a guy and you cant hang on to him, that discourages you from the clinch.

After the Spinks fight and Cus Dmato died Tyson was a changd fighter, forsaking his earlier style and getting lazy in his training. He was never the same after that.

15. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

16. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

JonZ

17. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I think that the promoters and boxers want to fight in the US. Pay-per-View revenue drops when the event is not live. I want to see this fight. If the fight ever happens, I put the odds at 50-50 that Tyson gets disqualified.

-Chris