Does it matter whether I use my receiver's test tones or Avia

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dave H, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Is there a difference when using a sound meter? Just curious if it matters which I use...especially in regards to calibrating my sub. I do understand Avia is about 10 db higher.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Dave that's not so easy to answer since we don't know which receiver you have. some receivers test tones are pretty close to Avia's and so it doesn't much matter while others have issues with either the main tones or more likely the subwoofer. For that reason I'd recomend you stick to using Avia if you have it as its a known reference that's accurate. The LFE track does not need boosting with Avia as its correctly set....Digital Video Essentials is the one that needs the 10 dB boost.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I have a Yamaha HTR-5890.

Avia is 10 db higher than my receiver's test tones. In other words, if my receiver is set to about zero reference, the receiver test tones are reading at 75db; with Avia they are at 85db.

Also, when measuring LFE with the Radio Shack SPL, it's always fluctuating between with 3-5 db range (82-87db), so I just take an average or middle since that number is obviously 85. I can't get a flat response (18 foot vaulted ceilings at one point in the room probably doesn't help, as well as two large openings into the room). I've experimented with Phase, but no change really. As far as placement, there is really no other place to put my sub in the room due to it's shape, size, and openness.

Also, should I calibrate test tones according to MY listening level, or at what is considered "standard." I don't listen at zero on my receiver. I'm usually around -10 to -15.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Trust Avia to be correct vs your yamaha. Are you switching your SPL meter to slow? That should help cut down on the bouncing readings but otherwise just try to average them out as you've been doing. I calibrate to the centre seat where I normally sit since honestly I'm the only one that would likely notice that things aren't perfect [​IMG] Also calibrate so that 85 dB is "0" on your receiver. It doesn't matter that you normally don't listen to it that loud but its helpful to know just what level you are listening at during discussions about sound. For example if you say that you find that an explosion is bottoming out your subwoofer its useful for us to know that you have calibrated to a standard reference level and that you were listening at -15 dB etc.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Since calibrating with Avia, I've turned the voume down a bit on my sub. I think it's definitely for the better. The bass is a bit tighter now and more natural.

Also, I've been doing everything else you said.

Also, my receiver volume is at around 25% to help prevent distortion. I've just been adjusting volume on the sub gain itself.

All in all, I'm very happy with my new SVS 20-39 PC+. I'm just trying to optimize and gain any kind of improvement. All in all, it's a big step over my previous Velodyne CHT-12. However, the Velodyne was not a bad entry level sub for the right price. But the PC+ is in a different league. I am listening to bass I didn't know ever existed in previously viewed movies, even at lower volumes and non-action scenes if you know what I mean. Just the subtley is phenomenal, let alone action scenes from War of the Worlds!

I don't think I've heard bottoming out. Even when viewing War of the Worlds because I only had the volume around -10 on my receiver...receiver sub volume around 25%, and the gain volume on the sub near 40%. But, I've lowered it a bit since using Avia.