Does it matter where a product is made?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam E.L., Aug 27, 2002.

1. Adam E.L.

Adam E.L. Auditioning

I was just told today that it is preferable to buy products made in Japan as opposed to other locations. I am purchasing a dvd player (either the Pioneer DV-353 or the Panasonic DVD-RV32) and this may make me lean in another direction. Is there any difference if a player is made in China or Malaysia?

2. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

generally, parts are parts, but japan seems to have better quality control than the others. if you get a warranty on it though, i wouldnt worry too much. just stick with a good brand.

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

There have been a few recent threads on this topic, so you might want to check the archives.

4. Adam E.L.

Adam E.L. Auditioning

Thanks for the help. I did search the forum on this topic but couldn't find much. Pioneer and Panasonic are both good brands, now does anybody have any comments on either the dvd-rv32 or the DV-353?

5. Boka

Boka Stunt Coordinator

It used to be that I didn't care or notice where a product came from. However, after spending a year in Korea that has definately changed. It may just be my superstition but I now avoid products that are made there (cars, computers, electronics). Its just a general feeling of lack of quality. I saw how things were made, handled, and shipped. Kinda like once you've seen the back end of a fast food restaurant you never want to go back.

6. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Stunt Coordinator

You might want to check www.audioreview.com for info on just about any dvd player or for any other electronics.