Does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arnold_R, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Arnold_R

Arnold_R Stunt Coordinator

Newbie. Is it worth it to get an expensive DVD player if I'll be using my pre-pro for all the processing and D/A? I'll be upgrading to an Anthem AVM20 and Rocket speakers and replacing my Onkyo & Atlantic Technology System. I plan on getting the Panny CP72, but was wondering if the Denon 1805 with the 2mb of buffer memory is worththe extra $ Or should I spend $1k+ on a really good DVD player? Still up in the air about DVD-A.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Arnold

2. Joe Reinwald

Joe Reinwald Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I can't believe no one has responded to this yet. This is one of those questions where you ask 5 people, you get 5 different answers. Obviously, a question like this is either a "yes" or "no" but it's the whys and hows that people will differ on. That being said, I think it all comes down to the old law of diminishing returns. I'd love to have a Proceed dvd player, but honestly I'm not sure how much better a picture it'd have than what I currently own (Pioneer DV-47). Part of it comes down to your display, and a very, very small part (IMO) comes down to the cables. These days, I think that as long as you have progressive scan and a decent display, you'll be fine. There are also those who think "I have a $3500 pr/pro. I'm not hooking up some Best Buy special to it." You have a very fine pre/pro, so it all comes down to what you want to spend. You can get a player for $100 or $15,000.

I realize I didn't really answer your question, but maybe you have a new way to think about things.

-Joe