What's new

Does it look like I need BFD?? (1 Viewer)

RyanJE

Second Unit
Sorry to start another BFD thread. I learned how to plot my sub. I started by setting the 25hz point to 74db (thats where my sub is rated low end). Is that right? Well any way here are my results.

FREQ/ SPL (comp)

22 / 66.5db
25 /79.0
28 /86.0
31.5 /84.0
36 /87.5
40 /91.5
45 /97.0
50 /91.5
56 /92.5
63 /84.5
71 /84.5
80 /72.5
89 /82.5
100 /79.0
111 /73.0
125 /74.5
142.5 /54.5
160 /56.5

Any experience with BFD anyone??

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
By looking at the numbers, maybe you can cut the peak at 45hz to reduce the boominess... Perhaps boost a few db in the lower end to give you a lil rumbling... It's up to your wallet to make the judgement call. Personally, with BFD my sub looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger 30 yrs ago. Without BFD, my sub is just like what Arnold is now. Then again, the bug will bite you and you will eventually buy it sooner or later :) Might as well, get it now so you can enjoy it right away.

Al,

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
I'm plotting my sub right at the moment. Here is your chart.

Looks like you might want to give a boost at 80hz as well. Have fun.

Al,

RyanJE

Second Unit
Hey How come i couldnt post the stinkin chart. Thanks Al!. I dont listen to music much at all my whole set up is based on HT. It sounds decent except in some scenes like #37 on Return Of The King (penelope fields) it sounds kind of floppy, or airy. Im not sure how to explain it, maybe loose. But this is also my first real sub, I replaced an 8" AR sub with it. So its obviously a huge improvement.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Also how come if I calibrate all speakers to ref at 75db at (-3db on master vol) I can only turn the master volume up to -15db to get my first read of 75db at 25hz on my sub?

Max F

Second Unit

What is the gain on your sub set to?

Also, i personally wouldn't bother with a BFD if your just watching movies.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"Also, i personally wouldn't bother with a BFD if your just watching movies."

How come, Max? That peak at 45hz could be tamed with a BFD.

David

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

Please justify, because I'm scratching my head.

Clean bass void of obvious spikes and dips is a blessing to BOTH music and movies. In fact, I will say it's even more important for movies because of the sheer output of bass that countless DVDs have to offer. I can't stand one-notey bass (a la car subs) that result from poor placement or room modes. I don't know what kind of music your into, but my sub is not very active in 2ch.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
servo-15

the immediate HT area is 1250sq ft, but opens into the dining area, another 650sq ft. It's a 2br apartment.

Max F

Second Unit

Music demands accuracy however, especially if your sensitive to fat or slow bass. My sub is very active with music. I know this for a fact by looking at the input lights on the BFD.

You seem to be overly concerned about some peaks, but you really haven't told us what your real problem with the sub is. If it sounds good to you then you don't really have a problem. I had a problem with how my sub sounded with music and the BFD fixed that.

Anyway, just trying to save you money if you really don't need an additional component. If you like fiddling with these things, then by all means go for it!

RyanJE

Second Unit
Hey Wayne which Ryan??

The gain on my sub is at half way..

What is a house curve? I dont have a problem I just like to fiddle with things and I thought BFD would increase my subs performance. Im always looking for cheap ways to enhance my systems performance. Therefore, im just trying to justify if the 100 bones is worth it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Well, looking at the chart it seemed peculiar that response was only dropping like a brick below 28 Hz. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t trying to use an 8-inch sub in some gigantic two-story family room or something.

Still, response to only 28 Hz with a 12” sub in a room that small... Kinda surprises me it’s not better than that. I got 30 Hz in my 6200 cu. ft. family room (it opens to kitchen, dining, etc.) with the little E150 (see the subwoofer review link in my signture). That doesn’t look promising for picking up some extension with equalization – ported subs don’t take kindly to boosting below their port frequency.

Still, with a 12” driver in a small room you might have enough headroom to pull off flattening response down to 25 Hz. Can’t hurt to try.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RyanJE

Second Unit
Yea its pretty shabby ain't it? Actually I just read your reviews yesterday, very impressive! Is this your line of work or just a hobby?

What do you think about stuffing the port, Ive heard a lot of people doing this. Could it provide any significant extension. I would probably have to turn up the gain a bit though huh? Also do you think my room characteristics have anything to do with the bass response? Its in the basement so all walls are cement as well as the floor of-course.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just a hobby, although I used to work in pro-audio. Still dabble in it a little.

Stuffing the port might help extension, but at the expense of output. But given the size of your room that shouldn’t be a problem. Bottom line, can’t hurt to try.

Yes, room characteristics make a difference in response as well as extension. If you do a search on “BFD” and look at the charts of other people EQing their subs, you’ll see everyone’s response before EQ is different.

Hard to say as to why the response is so shabby in such a small room. However, if you look at the charts posted in my review of the small and large rooms, you’ll see that I found the exact same thing with the E150. Pretty strange. No offence, but after seeing your chart I think I’m adding the E250 to my “subs to avoid” list. :frowning:

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RyanJE

Second Unit
Dont worry none taken. Being able to admit that ive purchased a shabby sub should better help others make a good decision. I dont blame you, unfortunately I wasnt patient enough to save for the SVS. If I knew how big of a difference there was I would have waited. Im moving out on my own soon so Ill get one then. PCi probably. Anyway, thanks for all the input you been very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks