Does it have to be on?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChuckM, May 9, 2005.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to decide between an onkyo TX-SR702 and a TX-NR801(most likely more to come...uh. this is going to take forever). Anyways, with all these inputs on the back of these things who needs a componet switcher, Right? One of the most annoying thing about my current receiver(Onkyo Ht-R500) is that if you route all your connections through it you have to have it on to use them. I don't want to watch dvds in surround sound all the time. I thought that is why they made monitor outs. Anyways is it like that with ALL receivers.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Yes, the receiver will not act like a "pass through" device unless it is turned on.

The "monitor out" plug that you've noted is for sending the OSD (On Screen Display) to your television.

You don't HAVE to run the video through the receiver. You can connect it directly from your player to the TV. Plus, you could connect the analog out connectors from the DVD to the TV for sound and just use the digital connection between the DVD player and receiver for when you want surround sound.

Keep in mind, some receivers can actually have an impact on the video quality by passing the signal through the device. This is less common with newer receivers, but older ones didn't have the proper bandwith.

3. John S

John S Producer

I read this alot. I have a hard time grasping why anybody would not want to use their AVR for all their sound, all the time. Maybe late at night when people are sleeping?

Can you convey your reasoning to me please. When I hook people's systems up, I don't even give them the option to not use the AVR and the display really just becomes a monitor only, unless the display contains their HD tuner(s)....

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Even if that were the case, most receivers nowadays feature a "midnight" mode or some form of compression so you don't have to shake and bake the whole house during late-night viewing. [​IMG]

5. markMcintosh

markMcintosh Auditioning

I have my HD cable box connected so that I can listen with surround sound or through the television. My reasoning was that when anyone wants to watch television in the main den when I am not there to fix whatever might get screwed up (accidental input device changes, remote control issues, etc), I don't have to be bothered at work. They always have the sound coming through the TV - in fact it's a law with the children. The children have their own setup for DVD's, videos, video games, music in the play room, so there is no need for them to mess with my receiver or DVD/CD player. Also, it is less intrusive to the rest of the house late at night.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Because I don't want to turn the recevier on all the time, say just to watch TV. NO video passes through my AVR at all. Now, my DVD player has no audio going to the TV, so the receiver is always used in that case.

7. John S

John S Producer

Thanks, I had always been curious.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My daughter sometimes watched DVDs and didn't want to be messing with the stereo all the time (and I kind of didn't want her to either). Solution - I gave her a DVD player for her room [​IMG] She can watch her stuff whenever she wants.

9. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

Well to you people who always run your AVRs, do you have a dedicated HT room or just a living room. I think that would explain alot? Anyways, I use my HT alot, but i don't always want to watch stuff in surround. Be it dvd or tv and definitly not ps2 and xbox. Sure hearing the background music in surround is cool at first, but soon becomes obnoxious. Also, big bass isn't exactly a cure for a headache either and I get alot of those.

p.s. Midnight mode is crap(well at least on my receiver) and my AVR will live longer :p)

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Our home theater is in the family room -- no dedicated HT room. The TV's built-in speakers have never been used. I use the surround system for everything at all times -- TV, DVD movies, HD cable TV, music, etc. A well designed universal remote control setup eliminates any problems for my technology-challenged wife (or parents, when they are in town visiting) in operating the system. I use a Harmony SST-659 universal remote for this purpose. Even my parents, who are as technology-challenged as anyone you'll ever meet, were able to pick up this remote and use it with no instructions from me. The remote eliminates any confusion in switching receiver inputs, TV inputs, or TV viewing modes for different components.

11. Derek N

Derek N Agent

This is exactly my reasoning. In addition to this some plain cable channels have such narrow sound that even using Logic7 or PL2 you get 95% through the center channel. My new tv, a KDF-60XS955 has spectacular sound (its amazing to me how much improvement modern tvs have made in this area), it has 4 speakers and a sub built in, and is actually very acceptable to listen to.

As a side note, I hooked my dvd player up directly to the tv for my wifes ease of use, but the last time she used it all that came through the speakers was the music. I must need to set something differently on the player, hopefully its not the case that I have to switch a setting between bitstream and pcm each use, that would be defeat the "wife" bypass hook-up. And yes I have a Macro capable remote but that still creates problems of which macro to kick off or if I didn't put the tv on the first input before I turned it off the night before. These sequential input buttons are the absolute worst!

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

That's the beauty of the Harmony remotes. (1) The remote keeps track of which inputs have been selected and which components are on/off, so it knows when it needs to switch or turn devices on/off and when not to. (2) The macros are called "activities" and are labeled as clearly as you could want. My remote has fixed buttons labeled "Watch TV", "Watch a Movie", and "Listen to Music". Another button is labeled "Additional Activities", and lists activities on the LCD screen which I have defined, such as "Watch HDTV", "Watch DVD Recorder", etc.

13. John S

John S Producer

Living room. Pretty darn high end audio setup.

Even straight mono source, the fidelity is just to good to me, to use anything else when all I really have to do is switch the AVR on.

I can't remember the last time, even at other peoples homes, that I actually listened to the display's audio system. heck maybe I am missing out. Maybe some of them can out perform the AVR on some sources?

14. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I'd be happy...If you could by TV's without speakers and all the xtra audio B.S. that a lot of us never use. (yes...I know some Plasma's are this way)I have not used TV speakers in quite some time...and actually find them annoying. Spend the money elsewhere on the TV. In my Living room- the Stereo turns the TV on for me! so its always on when the tv is on. Even when my Dedicated HT room is done...There will be an A/V reciever in the living room!

Listening to a DVD without surround is just wrong IMO [​IMG] {j/k} Be like listening too Bose !

Peace.