Does it bother you when you see 3-5 year old children in 'R' movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lutter, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I just got back from Black Hawk Down (which was excellent) and something in the audience angered me. Two or three couples had very very small children (3-4 years old) and had brought them with them to the movie! First of all, they are disruptive (mommy, what is that man's arm doing off his body?) and I don't think it is RIGHT that the theater owners let this happen (I can understand 10-year-olds or over, as they may be able to handle it, but some of these children were very upset).
    I think some guidlines should be set up into place... what do you guys think?
    MODERATORS: I put this in After Hours, but if it needs to be moved to POLLS or MOVIES... let it be [​IMG]

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

If the kids are quiet, no. You can't set guidelines-censorship (that's why, frankly, the NC-17 is soft arm censorship, since children aren't allowed in at all.) I would assume the parents know their children better than I do, and know if they can handle it. A lot of kids are smarter than society gives them credit for, and anybody that decides to expose their kids to the theater going experience (though, from the sound of things, they didn't teach them the respect for others they should have) is fine in my book. Even if they are raising little hooligans.

If it disturbs the kid, well, the parent should be slapped in the back of the head.

3. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

I too got back from Black Hawk Down (excellent, and very historically accurate-a pleasant surprise) and I counted no less than 5 children ranging from about 5 to about 10. I think that some children are mature, but I also think that this is the exception and not the rule. Probably at least a few of the parents simply brought their kids with them (for unknown reasons).

On a side note, I moved from a town where admission to R-rated movies was allowed if you had a note giving parent's permission (how many kids faked that)!

4. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    I'm surprised parents took their kids to "Black Hawk Down," considering the reviews have dwelled upon the intense, graphically violent battle sequences (compared to "Saving Private Ryan").

I think that would be too intense for most anyone under 10, not matter how jaded or sophisticated they think they are...

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

As long as they shut the hell out during the film I don't care how old they are anymore.

At my screening of BHD, some little girl would not shut up during the film, she was just babbling on, and the damn parents wouldn't not drag the brat out of the theater, lest they miss some of the carnage. Finally one of the parent (I use the term loosely) finally had enough of the "Shh!!!" and got the clue and took the babbling girl out of the theater.

Sheesh!

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I agree that age does not matter. It's the maturity of the child that does. I loved watching war movies and James Bond flicks with my parents when I was 5. The parents just have educate the children on how to behave. As mentioned earlier, unilateral bans and restrictions are silly imho.

7. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Coming froma semi-srict upbringing, the thought of being able to be an R movie before you are 9 baffles me. Even whhen I was 9 my parents would only let me see R movies with artistic merit. I don't know how much artistic merit BHD has to it, but it can't possibly have enough to bring 5 year olds too. Just think if that is a person's first memory!

8. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

This may not be right, but I get verbal when this happens. Not rude or vulgar, but very firm. I can be somewhat intimidating, over 6ft-300lbs-one arm sleeved with tatoo's, so that helps. Usualy I will firmly but politely ask the parents to control the kids. I realize kids can be rambunctious, lord knows I was once a terror, but if a kid is wild the parent should take them out of the theater. If the kids continues to act up, I'll tell the kid myself. That usually works. At a very last resort I'll get the manager. Sometimes parents will use me as a threat to thier kids. " You better be quiet or I'm going to have that big guy come over here again!"[​IMG]
    As long as we are on the subject of kids and movies I have a question for you parents out there. I do not have any children myself, I do have a wonderful five year old neice. She is the closest thing I will probably get to a child of my own and I love her dearly. One of the things I am looking forward to is sharing my love of Star Wars and Star Trek and Sci-Fi with her. The problem is we tell her there are no such things as monsters. She is a smart kid so I dont want to appear to be a liar to her. I think she is old enough to begin to enjoy these type of movies, she really like Titan AE but that is a cartoon and she does know the differance. I am afraid when she see's Kirk fight the Gorn in Star Trek or some other scene in a scifi movie, she is going to think it is real. Anybody got anything they would like to share on this?

9. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I don't think that there should be guidelines but I do agree with Rob's POV. A 3-5 year old shouldn't be exposed to the intense and graphic violence in a movie like BHD or SPR. It's way to young and the parents should know better. I couldn't imagine bringing my son to see that film.

10. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

Yes - it bothers me a lot. I refuse to state all the

reasons why, for fear of getting into a long argument,

but there is just no need.

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I know this girl who has three kids and she has been known to drink, curse, smoke, argue, and fist fight in front of them. She also brags about buying a copy of Halloween for her three year old and yelling at him for not turning his head during a sex scene. If a parent doesn't have the intellegence to know what is and is not appropriate for a child then all of the guidelines in the world won't do much good. I think toddlers should be banned from R rated movies but that is for the sake of the audience. It isn't the responsibility of a theater owner to tell someone how to be a good parent but they are well within their rights to provide a comfortable enviornment for everybody else.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yes, it bothers me. As much as I dislike the BBFC in the UK, I wish the US had a legally enforced rating system where 18 meant 18 & over only, 15 meant 15 & over only. 18 rated films are still widely shown - there is no 'ghetto-ization' of the certification like NC17 over here.

I, personally, don't believe that all films are suitable for young children, and in my experience, there's a good number of parents incapable of making good judgement on whether certain films are suitable material.

For example: the couple with their young childen I had the 'pleasure' of sharing From Hell With.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you would be amazed.. working in a theater I would see parents ask the cashiers a million questions about any sex in a movie, but wouldn't ask about violence...

I saw a lady take 2 kids, both below 5 I'd say, into stigmata once, then got all pissed because they wouldn't sit and watch it.

14. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I think we need to distinguish in between whether or not we are opposed to young children in movies simply because they are young or because they disrupt the viewing environment. I fear that a fierce debate will erupt concerning the former and we therefore should focus more on the latter.

15. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I don't really care if kids see R-rated movies, as long as they can understand them and the parents are comfortable discussing the content with them.

I do care if the children don't comprehend or care about the content in a particular movie. This just seems to indicate that parents are deciding to see something THEY want and bringing the children because they have to. Children don't deserve to be forced to sit in a theater for two hours through a dense drama or a hyper-violent film if they can't understand it. Pay a friend or a neighbor ten bucks to watch the kids for a few hours. Sheesh...

I wish I could remember what movie I was watching when I noticed a mother, father and two young children sitting near the front of the theater. Through a barrage of cursing and some violence, the family tried to keep the children complacent (letting them move around the seats nearby) but when some sexual content came up, the parents took the children out!!

16. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Weird that this thread can up because I just got back from Brotherhood of the Wolf and there was a sign at the ticket checker that said

"No one under the age of 6 allowed into rated R movies."

Just thought I would mention this. Kind of interesting. Personally I wouldn't take a child to see that but it is the parents choice and as long as they dont interupt my viewing enjoyment I don't really have much to say.

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I've heard that some theaters actually offer a "daycare" style service on Fri-Sat nights, it's a pilot program to keep the kids OUT of the theaters, and still entertained. They charge like $5 a head or something, and hire licensed daycare people to come in on their off hours

18. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

I don't take my kids to anything but something I think they would like or enjoy. I didn't take my four year old daughter to see LOTR simply because I knew it would have scenes a little too intense for her.

19. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    It does bother me when they arent quiet or controlled.
    To me, its worse when you pay money and some idiot decides he can place his feet up on your chair.
    Ive already gotten into one fight at a theater because of that [​IMG]

20. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

In another thread I stated my Dad took me to R movies when I was growing up in the 70s. But at least I was quiet.

I went to see Species and the first time Natasha Henstridge took of her top a kid in back of me said "boobies". Which gave everyone in the theater a good laugh.

Everytime she took her top of the kid would giggle and laugh and it make the audience laugh. Im glad that kid was there he made the experience more enjoyable becuase the movie was horrible.