1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Does hooking an extension cord into another extension cord create a fire hazard?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Emile, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Emile

Emile Agent

I am pretty much done with the basic setup of my HTS, except I have not plugged in the power cords as of yet. The problem is that where I positioned the equipment, there is no 3-pronged outlet, so I need 30ft of extension cord that I can then plug into my surge suprressor to reach the equipment. The instructions advise against this course of action, as they say it is a fire hazard to plug extension cords into extension cords. However, it is either doing this or having the outlet modified (which seems like it would cost a lot more). So can anyone comment on this? Are there any people on here that do use extension cords like this with or without negative consequences? Thanks for the comments, I am itching to plug this baby in.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Make sure the ratings of the extension cord will carry what ever you connect up. A set up can easily pull 15 to 20 amps, some cords will get hot.
    I would add up all the equipment and make sure it is at least 10 - 20% over your calculation.
    Then try running them for an hour or 2 and see if the cord gets hot.If it does get hot, I think you need to bring a line in.
    I am not a licensed electrician but I am an engineer....so take my advice but be careful.

grant