What's new

Does hooking an extension cord into another extension cord create a fire hazard? (1 Viewer)

Emile

Agent
I am pretty much done with the basic setup of my HTS, except I have not plugged in the power cords as of yet. The problem is that where I positioned the equipment, there is no 3-pronged outlet, so I need 30ft of extension cord that I can then plug into my surge suprressor to reach the equipment. The instructions advise against this course of action, as they say it is a fire hazard to plug extension cords into extension cords. However, it is either doing this or having the outlet modified (which seems like it would cost a lot more). So can anyone comment on this? Are there any people on here that do use extension cords like this with or without negative consequences? Thanks for the comments, I am itching to plug this baby in.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Make sure the ratings of the extension cord will carry what ever you connect up. A set up can easily pull 15 to 20 amps, some cords will get hot.
I would add up all the equipment and make sure it is at least 10 - 20% over your calculation.
Then try running them for an hour or 2 and see if the cord gets hot.If it does get hot, I think you need to bring a line in.
I am not a licensed electrician but I am an engineer....so take my advice but be careful.

grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks