Does hooking an extension cord into another extension cord create a fire hazard?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Emile, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Emile

Emile Agent

I am pretty much done with the basic setup of my HTS, except I have not plugged in the power cords as of yet. The problem is that where I positioned the equipment, there is no 3-pronged outlet, so I need 30ft of extension cord that I can then plug into my surge suprressor to reach the equipment. The instructions advise against this course of action, as they say it is a fire hazard to plug extension cords into extension cords. However, it is either doing this or having the outlet modified (which seems like it would cost a lot more). So can anyone comment on this? Are there any people on here that do use extension cords like this with or without negative consequences? Thanks for the comments, I am itching to plug this baby in.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Make sure the ratings of the extension cord will carry what ever you connect up. A set up can easily pull 15 to 20 amps, some cords will get hot.
    I would add up all the equipment and make sure it is at least 10 - 20% over your calculation.
    Then try running them for an hour or 2 and see if the cord gets hot.If it does get hot, I think you need to bring a line in.
    I am not a licensed electrician but I am an engineer....so take my advice but be careful.

grant