Does Heat hurt DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Thomas, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

I recently decided to store some of my DVD in my Attic, I went up there and discovered that the temperture has reach about 100 degree. Will this type of heat damage my DVD's?

2. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Why the attic? How many? Perhaps you could squeeze them into some closet space.
    Personally putting any kind of media in a storage area that isn't enviromentally controlled is something I would never do. I bet most other forum members would say the same thing.
    Depending on where you live, that heat could be combined with high levels of humidity. Certainly not healthy type of storage for your DVD's.
    ------------------
    Tobor realized the error in his logic and fully understood the penalty of death from EMP.

3. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

100 degrees shouldn't harm them. DVDs can warp from heat, similar to record albums, but it takes much more heat to do it. Consider that many people leave compact discs in their cars, easily reaching 130-150 degrees on a hot sunny day, without problems. Still, isn't there a more convenient place to put them that has better climate control?
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

4. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

100F is nothing for optical media. Many of your DVDs have seen temps 120F or higher during shipping with no adverse effect. Ambient temperature extremes shouldn't negatively effect them, though direct exposure and sunlight will damage them.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

5. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I have to say that an Attic in Fla gets much hotter then 100 degs in the sumer time. I know it is not uncommon for my attic to reach 115 over the summer.
    It might be a little easier over near the coast like you are.
    I still would not consider it a viable option to store my DVDs in the Attic. To much chance for damage in oh so many ways up there.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!