Does HDTV affect Video Game or DVD picture at all?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Seam Dempsy, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Seam Dempsy

Seam Dempsy Stunt Coordinator

Dec 2, 2003
    I was wondering if an HDTV improved picture on Video Games on DVDs at all and I also wanted to now what type of TV would deliever the best picture money could buy? Oh, and how would the picture on a Sony WEGA Flatscreen with component hook-ups compare?

Thank You
  2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    A better display will make things look better up to a point.

And this question:

I also wanted to now what type of TV would deliever the best picture money could buy?

Is VERY open-ended, not to mention that there will people claiming that EACH and every technology out there is the best (which of course it is, for THAT person, and THOSE priorities/goals).

IMO, depending on what you're trying to do, FP CRT is probably still the best from an image standpoint. Taking into consideration "real-world" concerns, then it probably isn't. I don't take into account "real-world" concerns. Thus I'll bet you can guess what kind of display I'll be using. [​IMG]
  3. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

Sep 26, 2002

The short answer is YES. Assuming you already have component video connections for your video sources, your resolution will not necessarily change, but you will get Progressive Scan (480p instead of 480i). This means that a) the image will not flicker, even from a low-quality cable signal, and b) the entire screen is refreshed every 1/60th of a second instead of half a screen in the same time with interlaced.

Gamecube supports 480p, as do most of my Gamecube games. Most are only 4:3 but some games support widescreen (Eternal Darkness & Burnout). To get a 480p signal from the Gamecube, you need to order their component video cables. Otherwise you're limited by the connector: I think composite video only carries ~200 lines of resolution, and s-video is maybe around 300-350, but both of those are interlaced. When I got my component video cables, I could start to make out the individual pixels in some of the 3d environments: it was a dramatic change.

DVDs also look really good on an HDTV, because they can show the full progressive-scan signal, which is much more solid and film-like. To do it properly, you need a progressive scan DVD player and component video or DVI connections.

To do better than 480p, you need HDTV over cable or antenna, which is typically broadcast in 1080i resolution for certain material.

I can highly recommend Samsung's 4:3 CRT models. I have a 27" 4:3 which you can get at best buy for $700. This model lets you "squeeze" 16:9 signals so you maintain full resolution in widescreen mode.