does FP make sense for me??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chuck H, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Chuck H

Chuck H Agent

I recently posted a question regarding purchasing a 60" RPTV. Today I stumbled across info on inexpensive FP's, in particular the Sanyo PLV-Z1. My question is how well suited is this projector to a varity of viewing habits? I like the idea of a huge screen, no huge TV taking up space, and lots of HD compatibility. Our viewing preferences are:
    1. Direct TV - with the possiblity of going HD in the next year
    2. Xbox gaming - more and more games in 720p, which the Z1 can handle
    3. Dvd's
    We would be using it in our basement the ability to control light.
    My wife won't go for it if a FP is limited to DVD only. If we are spending that much money she wants to see it being used!
    Lamp life is also a concern, but I figure if we limit use to 5-6 hours per day at an estimate of 2000 hours life that is close to needing a new bulb once a year, which I think she will go for.
    Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    Chuck

2. JackLonn

JackLonn Agent

I recently purchased a NEC HT1000. I love it. However, in the very little bit that I've used it for TV (Dish Network, non HDTV) I've been very disappointed. TWO things: 1) I recently changed to the DISH from a big dish and find the picture inferior and 2) it may be that to blowup an inferior source to 105" is too much. So far I'm glad I still have my 55" Tosh for TV. As far as light control, as long as it's dark out, I can control the light. I waiting t get black out curtains. All that said, I LOVE my FP. You can't compare a large screen 55" or so, to a 100" plus for a cinematic experience. I've asked this forum about using scalers for the DISH, but haven't had a very good response. Mostly, "garbage in, garbage out". Lamp life is a concern for me, at $500 for a bulb (2000 hrs)so I'm not too inclined to burn it out watching Friends. Once your wife see'syour LARGE image, you may be content to limit yourself to watching movies to save your bulb.

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I have been happy with the Directv quality on my X1. I use it as a regular tv when I want to. Looks pretty clear, considering its 92". As long as you aren't a videophile, I would imagine you would be very happy with the results of directv on the Z1.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Chuck,
    I have the Z1 and mainly use it for movies. I have Time Warner cable std. and it looks best on my screen in 4:3 mode. If I use it in 16:9 or zoom mode it gets real noisy/distorted....still viewable but not great. I did test HDTV on mine last week at my Local Hi Fi shop and the picture was truly amazing. For me I have my 36" tv for daily viewing...
    Z1 is mainly for Movies, some sporting events and once in a while we watch TV on it.