Does Fox ever show the Futuramas and King of Hill's that dont air due to the NFL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hughes, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I seems like Futurama is never on becase of these damn NFL games that go on forever. Now today, the season premier of Futurama has been shitcanned. It's 7:30, and I'm thinking that at least I will get to see King of the Hill. But they switch to the fucking Arizona Cardinals?!?!?!?? Arrgghh!
    Anway, does Fox ever show these or do they not get shown until rerun time?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Shane Archer

Shane Archer Agent

I was under the impression that the season premiere of Futurama was scheduled for December 9th (next Sunday).

As for the pre-empted episodes, FOX does plan on showing them. In fact, about five or six episodes from Futurama's Season 3 (last season) will be shown periodically throughout this season -- not sure if a schedule has been finalized or not.

I can only assume that the same things will happen to "lost" episodes of Family Guy.

Also, there was an episode of Futurama that the censors would not let air, called "A Tale of Two Santas" (it was their Christmas episode from a previous season). I saw it at the San Diego ComiCon this year and I can see why it was banned, it's quite violent -- though quite hilarious as well. Anyway, FOX has decided to let them air it this December 23rd at a later time slot (9PM I believe). Look for it if you're interested...

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If there is a new episode schedualed and the NFL's watch is slow as it always is, they throw on repeats for the west coast

Futurama will always start late until Fox loses the NFL. Frankly, I think football is the only reason it stays on, it's a good sacrificial lamb that can deliver stable numbers despite being pre-empted constantly 4 months a year.

Just once

"We now leave our game, due to the NFL not being able to understand that 60minutes does not equal three hours, and join our regular programming"

OR

"We now join our game, already in progress"

Yes, I know all about the Heidi rule

4. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Jeff,
    What is the "Heidi Rule"?
    Inquiring minds want to know. [​IMG]
    Rafael

5. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

Futurama was originally a mid-season replacement show (Mar '99) that fox paired with "The PJs" and shoved on a wednesday or thursday night death slot.
    Fox moved it to Sunday (sep '99), where it aired at 7:30 (I think) with "America's Funniest" being the usual sacrificial lamb at 7:00. King of the Hill was still airing on a non-Sunday.
    Fox announced their fall '00 schedule which gave us the current futurama/ koth/ simps/ malcolm line up. Due to Football, and a botched election (I still hate that Florida bitch for announcing Bush getting the electoral votes at 7:25pm on a Sunday... on a Sunday!!!!) East-coasters got incomplete (2) or rerun episodes until the December 3rd which explains the current December premiere-- as soon as NFL "double headers" are off the schedule, Futurama's timeslot is secure. More info here: http://www.geocities.com/deardumbass/20010517.htm and
    http://scifi.ign.com/articles/313402p1.html
    Fox always switches to the game that is holding up the works, as not to have varying primetime start times in different markets. Simpsons can start at 8:03pm, but their ratings would be a mess if markets were reporting 8:00, 8:03, and 8:09 start times. The sad reality is that the simpsons gets better ratings when football airs up until 8pm. When "King of the Hill" gets dumped, west coasters get a rerun of it, and they get a "Futurama" rerun too.
    In a related note, this CBS press release about a chopped episode of 60 minutes, should give you real reason to be pissed.

6. PienSavaca

7. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

The worst is when the local market game is over then they switch to some snooze fest of a game in the last 6:00 minutes. Geebus, if they went straight to the shows after the game was over they could just start a little later and still squeeze everything in. I tell you what.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. Jeff Kleist

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

in the area where I live, they usually take the premepted shows and move them to after 11pm. I can either stay up late to see them or set my VCR and watch them the next day. I was able to see all the above mentioned shows on Sunday later on.

It would be nice if people watched their langauge in these threads. It's a free country and you can do whatever you want, it's just a little sad.

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I didn't know you guys got pre-empted on the West Coast, too!

But Anthony's right. The local Boston Fox station regularly shows any pre-empted programs after the 10:00 local news. I was flipping around the horn and noticed they did this with King of the Hill last night (I don't recall Futurama, but I was watching the Adult Swim lineup by then!)

13. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Do the math. The NFL is on FOX 20 weeks out of the year. And only 9-10 of those are doubleheaders. So that leaves approximately 42 weeks to show ~24 episodes without being pre-empted.

So, if you miss it, quit your whining and watch it in summer reruns if you have to.

Besides, if you have a good network affiliate, they will show it some other time during the day. I remember when the FOX station in Tallahassee carried Babylon 5 in syndication Sundays at 6pm. At least when it got pre-empted, they showed the B5 eps the same day at 11pm. I never missed an episode.

I like Futurama, but it's pre-recorded, not live. Live events should always take precedence.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jason, yes I would
    I have a master plan which involves getting Bill Gates' backing and buying the rights to every sport and every team and putting it on pay cable.
    Either professional sports dies, or I get filthy rich. Either way I win
    And my shows will never be pre-empted again [​IMG]
    And before anyone says anything, yes I realize this is a pipe dream

15. PienSavaca

Apples and oranges. When sports pre-empts syndicated programming (B5, Ebert/ Roeper, etc), your local affilate loses all money collected from commercials. It is in their best interest to air the programming that they already paid for. And the program was probably grabbed off of satellite 3 days prior-- and can air whenever they please, an option not available to Fox sunday east/ central programming.