Does everyone know how to check your connection speed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre F, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

This is probably old news but I wanted to post it just in case...
    1. In the Xbox Dashboard go to Network and perform the connection test
    2. Press "Y" when it's complete and you'll download and upload speeds among other info.
    I was happy to find this info since I'm using a wireless setup and wanted to make sure I was getting a good connection before I decided to keep the new setup. Works good for me. [​IMG]

2. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

What would be a good connection speed. I have had some issues with drops and comments about network issues could effect gameplay.

Todd

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

My download speed has been around 800 and upload around 700. I have not hard to a time with XBL at all. In fact I've been very pleased. Keep in mind my speed are with a wireless setup. My friend who has a hardwire setup and a download speed of 1600...

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

700 upload??? That's pretty damn good. I'm extremely lucky if I can get even 100, most of the time I hover between 60-80. Basically that means I can't really host any big games, but it's still fast enough that I don't experience much lag when someone else with a fast connection hosts (hint hint Andre... [​IMG])

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

6. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Hey, what are you guys getting for the L: number? There is a huge debate going at the Xboxlive forums about whether the UL and DL numbers really mean a speed or not but the L is definitely latency. I always get around 100ms which IMO sucks. If I tracert the www.xboxlive.com server from my PC I also get around 100 and just to get from Atlanta to Portland Oregon takes about 70 ms alone. Is this normal, most of the time a transcontinental ping takes around 35-40 ms and Transatlantic around 50 ms. I have Bellsouth DSL service.

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Lee, I get 105 latency, every time. Again, not great, but it doesn't preclude playing games (I just can't host much).

8. Michael St. Clair

I have heard that this speed test does not send enough packets to get a truly accurate response. My upload speeds on this test reads only about half as fast as every online PC test I do (like dslreports.com).

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Andre,

Thanx bud, I did not know that utility was available. I think that as soon as I got XBL to work on my wireless setup, I immediately put in MechAssault and never returned to the dashboard. Would like to know what kind of U, D, and L's I am getting just for future reference.

Best,
    Joe

PS - To anyone testing their latency over a wireless (or wired) network and want to figure out the wireless bit: ping a known web IP and then ping your Xbox IP from another internet device. For example, if I get 45 ms to an internet IP and ping 192.168.0.30 (my wireless xbox dongle) from my wired PC for 13 ms, then you know that a wired connection would yield 45 - 13 = 32 ms access times (or a ~25% increase from wireless to wired in this case.)