Does Electronic Contact Spray still exist??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerome Grate, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I just got a used DBX expander and I notice that when I press the buttons it requires a little wiggling to get it to work properly. After a little wiggle it's fine but it's a pain in the neck and certainly not worth fixing but if I can get my hands on some contact spray I think it will do the trick. But it's been a long time since I used it, so does it still exist.

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Yes. Try Caig Labs stuff, like De-Oxit and Pro Gold

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jerome,

What Hank failed to mention is that you can buy these products from Parts Express. Just go to their site and search by the name Caig. That should give you their products.

Brian

4. Jerome Grate

Thanks, I'll be checking Parts Express. [​IMG]

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Even Radio Shack still sells contact cleaning spray.
    You have to be careful to get it on the contacts, not just the shafts behind the knobs. Ideally the spray dissolves old grease which used to protect the contacts from oxidation and the moving contacts broke through the grease to achieve a good electrical connection, but now the grease has hardened with age making good electrical connection a hit or miss proposition. Alternatively the contacts have finally oxidized or worse, have worn away.
    Exactly how much contact cleaner is needed is also trial and error. Ideally you spray it several times and sop up the dripping, in reality the contacts are covered or concealed and where the dripping occurs is also too difficult to get tissue paper into.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Jerome Grate

Allan, I hope to get the push in knob off of the DBX Expander, and hope that the tiny nozzel will get the spray back to where I need it.