What's new

Does Electronic Contact Spray still exist?? (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I just got a used DBX expander and I notice that when I press the buttons it requires a little wiggling to get it to work properly. After a little wiggle it's fine but it's a pain in the neck and certainly not worth fixing but if I can get my hands on some contact spray I think it will do the trick. But it's been a long time since I used it, so does it still exist.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jerome,

What Hank failed to mention is that you can buy these products from Parts Express. Just go to their site and search by the name Caig. That should give you their products.

Brian

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Even Radio Shack still sells contact cleaning spray.
You have to be careful to get it on the contacts, not just the shafts behind the knobs. Ideally the spray dissolves old grease which used to protect the contacts from oxidation and the moving contacts broke through the grease to achieve a good electrical connection, but now the grease has hardened with age making good electrical connection a hit or miss proposition. Alternatively the contacts have finally oxidized or worse, have worn away.
Exactly how much contact cleaner is needed is also trial and error. Ideally you spray it several times and sop up the dripping, in reality the contacts are covered or concealed and where the dripping occurs is also too difficult to get tissue paper into.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Allan, I hope to get the push in knob off of the DBX Expander, and hope that the tiny nozzel will get the spray back to where I need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks