Does DVI-to-DVI really make any quality improvement?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Tedesco, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

I have a 36 WEGA XBR High Def Sony TV and am currently using components to receive my HD.

I have the option of using DVI cables, but not sure on the set that I have if it would make a difference.

thx

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Try it and see. Implementation is the important factor, I've seen DVI/HDMI implementation be superior, and inferior to analog YPbPr.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Chris T., it's doubtful you'll see much difference if you used the DVI for DVD. ...maybe some very small gain? 36" tubes tend to hide small differences up or down. I have one like your's but older without the DVI input.

The DVI might make HD channels look a little sharper? It might make SD channels look a little worse. IMO, component will soften SD channels, usually, which is good for them in most situations. These are the things that I've observed with my 58" RP set with both a Sony 300 HD-OTA/Direc box and an HD Direc Tivo box.

The DVI gives you one more input option when you need it.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

These are all implementation issues.

The simple reality of it is that there are analog and digital transmissions of both Component Video, and RGB video formats.

YPbPr and VGA or analog RGB are analog.

YCbCr via HDMI, or RGB via DVI or HDMI are digital.

Note that DVDs are encoded in component video, YCbCr format. However implementation is your limit. RGB has more capability than component video, however the limit is already imposed by the YCbCr encode of the DVD format. All of these methos are fully capable of transmittig EVERYTHING that's on a DVD or HD source without problem. Implementation in consumer gear is notoriously shoddy, so sometimes there will be differences, but it really depends on the specific components in the video chain that are in use, which is why I suggest that users experiment on their own to determine the best connection method.