Does DVD RW have to be played/read in DVD RW drive or will regular DVD drive work

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike_ROG, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Mike_ROG

Mike_ROG Extra

I know when it comes to CD-R/RW you have to play/read a CD-RW in a RW drive only.

Is it the same way for DVD's? If I burn a DVD+RW can it be used in a regular DVD player/reader on a PC or does it have to be read in a DVD RW drive only?

Thanks
    Mike

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I backed up a ton of stuff onto DVD RW (not sure if it was + or - though) then put the DVD into my laptop's non-RW DVD drive and I was able to read and copy the files.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Actually, most CDRW discs can be read in any CD-ROM drive. I think the CDROM drive has to read over a certain speed, and it can also depend on the program used to write the disc (especially if you use a Win Explorer writing program).

I would think DVD would work the same way.

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You might find an old CD-ROM that can't handle rewritable discs, but nothing produced in the last few years should have that limation.

Whether a disc can be read is more likely to be limited by the format it was written in. Use the standard Joliet or ISO9660 formats and it should be fine.