What's new

Does DVD 4:3 P&S setup mode actually work? (1 Viewer)

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I've believed for a while that of the two 4:3 setup modes on DVD players (called letterbox vs. P&S), the difference is that the former sends the picture as is (after stretching an anamorphic image, if present), whereas the latter takes a 4:3 piece out of the middle.

Today I decided to test this. I used two different DVD players (Samsung M301 and Sony DVP-C600D) and two different discs, one anamorphic and one not.

Well, no difference.

The Sony manual seems to indicate that the 4:3 P&S setting is effective (i.e., different from 4:3 letterbox) only for certain DVDs.

Would these be the ones with the special P&S coding that tells the player where to center the image?

If true, then, contrary to what I have been telling a few people, the 4:3 P&S mode is NOT a way to eliminate the black bars for people who don't care about a cropped image. At least not universally so. And, for all I know, the discs for which it is effective are extremely rare, if they even exist.

Can anyone in the know help out here?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The 4:3 P&S mode only works for discs that have been encoded to allow for pan-and-scan on the fly. For whatever reason, very few DVDs have been released to take advantage of this feature.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Marc:

Toshiba DVD players have a 4 level zoom feature that do what you want - take out a 4:3 piece from the middle of the widescreen movie.

Rich B.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the disc must be encoded with P&S instructions. The HK Shaolin Soccer (coming to US theaters in March) has such a mode, mostly it appears to be a center zoom.

I think the zoom key has pretty much solved many J6P problems, they don't mind talking noses for some reason

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The 4:3 P&S mode is not meant to do anything to non-anamorphic disks.
IMHO the 4:3 P&S mode should have done a center view with uniform side cropping of anamorphic disks without the encoded pan and scan instructions but perhaps the DVD system player specifications say otherwise.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks