Does DTS sound better with certain DACS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Proud, Jul 24, 2001.

1. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

I used to have a pioneer with Burr Brown DACS and DTS sounded 10X better than Dolby gital, now that I have a Denon AVR-4800 with Analog Devices DACS, DTS does not sound any better than Dolby digital on the Denon Avr-4800.
    Perhaps that is why some people argue DTS sounds better than Dolby digital to them.
    ------------------
    View Live streaming video of my theater room 24X7 HTTP://WWW.DAVIDSTHEATER.COM

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    That is why some of the discussions get silly. We are all listening with different equipment and in different rooms. Even the room is a factor on how things sound. Like anything sold at varying price points, some manuf. choose to include different features and quality of components -e.g. no binding posts on receivers, mid level posts, expensive posts, etc. Some equipment may be better at certain things due to what the manuf. has sought to do at the price point.

3. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

A few months ago I bought a Panasonic DVD-A7, which has a built-in DTS decoder. I compared the decoder in the Panny to the one in my Denon receiver and there was no contest, the receiver's decoder sounded better. Is this due to the decoder itself, or was it because of the analog connection from DVD player to receiver?

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

David, are you running 2000TL's yet?
    No difference heard between DD and DTS? Looks like you might want to consider upgrading [​IMG]
    look at yamaha dsp-A1/rx-v1, b&kavr307, high end marantz, denon 5800.

5. David Proud

Well what i am trying to say is. With the Denon AVR-4800 DTS sounds as good as it does when using the pioneer Elite 26tx. But on the pioneer the dolby digital sound is not as good as the dts sound out of it. With the denon avr-4800 the dolby digital sound is no better than the DTS sound. Is this b/c Denon uses better dacs for Dolby digital decoding which makes it sound comparable to DTS?

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I'm not really sure exactly why you would hear a huge difference between the formats with the Pioneer and no difference with the Denon, but I suspect that the DAC's do play a major role in this.
    What speakers are you using? How did your Pioneer compare to the Denon for just plain old stereo music (this may not be an issue however).
    You might want to try posting this question in the speaker forums athttp://www.audioasylum.com
    [Edited last by Bob_A on July 25, 2001 at 11:38 PM]

7. David Proud

Hi Bob! I am using the Def Tech protower 400s and the promonitor 200s for the rears.
    Its gotta be the DACS. The improvement from Pioneer to Denon was awesome in Stereo or Direct Mode. Imaging was better and the Denon was not as bright sounding. The Pioneer did well in DTS but performed more poorly with Dolby Digital. The Denon handles both with precision and I really cant till a huge difference between the two formats. Although I always choose the DTS version of the film if avl. But yes DTS may be slightly better. I will have to test out saving private ryan tommorow night and see how big the difference is.
    Later,
    David
    ------------------
    View Live streaming video of my theater room 24X7 HTTP://WWW.DAVIDSTHEATER.COM

8. David Proud

yeah I may upgrade receivers in the future. I would love to get a good processor and monoamps. I like the idea of software based processors that you can upgrade. Thats kinda kewl wit Dolby 2 and other things on the horizon.

9. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

I used to have a pioneer with Burr Brown DACS and DTS sounded 10X better than Dolby gital, now that I have a Denon AVR-4800 with Analog Devices DACS, DTS does not sound any better than Dolby digital on the Denon Avr-4800.
    Perhaps that is why some people argue DTS sounds better than Dolby digital to them.
    ------------
    Maybe the Pioneer is built for better sound than the 4800,and sounds better to you. This is why the so-called upgrade bug that afflicts people is kind of irrational, sometimes the equipment you already have is better than what you want to upgrade to.
    [Edited last by JaleelK on July 26, 2001 at 09:25 AM]